Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Small chip paint repair. Best method?

BR33ZE

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6 MY12.5 series 2 sports wagon
Hey peeps,,,, A white 2012 VE commodore with about 10 small (matchstick tip chips) some a brownish colour.

I dont care much about how it appears after repair (the car is already far from spotless)- but i dont want rust progressing... Suggested method?? I ordered touch up paint...

Bloke at work said to place blue coloured rust chellator on the chip then put glad wrap over it overnight then the next day to apply the touch up... Thoughts on this process?? Should i apply a primer first.... Chips are so small you would hardly notice them otherwise..

cheers.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
I would put a small rust killer on each one, then small primer coat, finishing with body colour.

Reactions: mtd

mtd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1 Calais V V8
I would put a small rust killer on each one, then small primer coat, finishing with body colour.
Agree, if you use the stuff that Holden used to sell as a top coat (and I believe might still - and you can get it elsewhere) is really good on colour matching, but you have to be VERY careful in application otherwise it end up in a 'splotch'. And don't use when old - it gets thick and unworkable.

I use a super magnifier (string around my my neck) that rests on my chest that my Mum used in close up sewing work. It blows up the chip ridiculously. Tiny coat at a time. I think its called 'Scratch and Match' (small bottle nail polish size). This stuff does not come off with polishing. Think Dick Smith online and several other places sell it too. I'd then wait a week or so and VERY carefully buff it with some cutting polish (i'm talking magnifier again with a bit of cloth wrapped at the end of a pen or similar - i.e. don't touch the surrounding clear coat as much as possible.). The clear coat has gone with the chip, so you could reapply some clear coat but I never have.

warrick

Reaction score
Website
members.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VF 6.0 CALAIS V
when i used to do paint chip repairs , we were taught to put a thin layer of the car colour in the base of the chip let it dry and then top up over the chip with clear coat, making the clear finish a little bit proud of the surface. then when it dried lightly sand back level and buff to a gloss. seemed to work pretty well.
cheers

mtd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1 Calais V V8
when i used to do paint chip repairs , we were taught to put a thin layer of the car colour in the base of the chip let it dry and then top up over the chip with clear coat, making the clear finish a little bit proud of the surface. then when it dried lightly sand back level and buff to a gloss. seemed to work pretty well.
cheers
Interesting, so you never removed any surface rust or primed? Certainly not saying your wrong - actually sounds a better method than mine (especially the clear coat) - I do risk taking some CC with the cut.

warrick

Reaction score
Website
members.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VF 6.0 CALAIS V
if there was a noticable amount of rust present, we just used a very small bit of 2000/3000 grit to remove any flaking. usually though the chips were so small that it rarely was required. if the existing clear coat is rough you can quite often get away with finishing the dab of clearcoat flush, so no sanding required. you may need to put the clearcoat on a couple of times , depending on depth of chip, as it can sometimes shrink back a little.
cheers

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
As above.

Toothpick to dab the paint into the chip. Use what ever you can to make seeing the chip easier. The paint does shrink back as moisture leaves it.

It’s super hard to do.