Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Small Knock

Trennaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Qwerty
Hey guys,

I've noticed a small knock in the car basically since I put the 19s on - whether thats a cause or not, im not 100% as the car was off the road for about 4-5 months prior to the 19s going on.

When in the drivers seat, the knock sounds like its coming from front left, which alert to me bushes, strut tower, wheel not on 100%?
When in the passenger seat, the knock kind of sounds like it's coming from centre of the car, underneath or maybe just a little rear of transmission, which alert exhaust knocking, wheel not on 100%?

I put the car on ramps last nihgt, checked the exhaust bolts, the right hand side was a little lose, which is now tightened, checked ALL wheelnuts, and ensured they are tight (which they were).

Fun Facts:

I'm not sure if this will help, but when in accelleration the knock doesn't appear to be as evident, but that could be due to the exhaust being louder than the knock?

Doesn't happen on idle, just over bumpds.

I have a *slight* feeling it could be the exhaust right at the tips, knocking on the chassis.

Any insight?

Ozzie

JCCC Warrnambool
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ozzie'z Supercharged VY Calais
Front or rear of the car?

My old VN had a knock in the rear left.
Had all new bushes put on it, even the mechanic couldnt find the problem so they passed the roady with it.
I think its the rear link bushes but not 100%

Trennaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Qwerty
When im driving it sounds like its front, when passenger it sounds centre to the car, if not SLIGHTLY to the rear..
say.. in the same spot as in between the centre console and rear seats.

The sound almost sounds as if a wheel is real loose on the hub, and about to fall of.. but it's not!

Trennaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Qwerty
Come to realise it *may* be the trans mounts.. gotta check them

Trennaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Qwerty
Yeah im about to dude.. cars up on ramps atm, makes life easy

rob drag racer

vn vp drag nut
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
vp 3.8 with gas new project vn s1 guted strip only
Hey guys,

I've noticed a small knock in the car basically since I put the 19s on - whether thats a cause or not, im not 100% as the car was off the road for about 4-5 months prior to the 19s going on.

When in the drivers seat, the knock sounds like its coming from front left, which alert to me bushes, strut tower, wheel not on 100%?
When in the passenger seat, the knock kind of sounds like it's coming from centre of the car, underneath or maybe just a little rear of transmission, which alert exhaust knocking, wheel not on 100%?

I put the car on ramps last nihgt, checked the exhaust bolts, the right hand side was a little lose, which is now tightened, checked ALL wheelnuts, and ensured they are tight (which they were).

Fun Facts:

I'm not sure if this will help, but when in accelleration the knock doesn't appear to be as evident, but that could be due to the exhaust being louder than the knock?

Doesn't happen on idle, just over bumpds.

I have a *slight* feeling it could be the exhaust right at the tips, knocking on the chassis.

Any insight?

check the exhaust for movement i cant say for anyone else but mine is rock solid my old one would hit on the Panhard rod when id hit a bump and seeing you now have 19s on it it may be the case

Trennaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Qwerty
Just looked at it again, found the left hand lower shock bolt was a bit loose, tightened it up and not getting any knocks at the moment.. Hopefully that solved it!