Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

small oil leak

jimbojones889

Reaction score
Members Ride
93 VR Executive Wagon
ive been told my rear main seal may need replacing as there is a little oil drip. anyone know the cost and work involved if i could do it myself?

RoboticCherry-Coke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais S1
hey mate, bout a month ago I had my car serviced at the local dealer and they told me that my rear main seals and sump have a small leak. From memory it was around $800 and to difficult to do yourself... my solution, a good ol' drip tray :p

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
You can do it yourself but you need to remove the transmission...so as RoboticCherry-Coke says the drip tray is heaps cheaper. This is a common problem that most people live with. Good Luck.

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
Yep thats true but it should also be pointed out that often it is not just the rear main seal leaking, but also the rectangular housing plate this seal is held into. To replace the seal on this plate requires the sump to be removed also which makes it a pretty big job all up. Replacing the rear main seal only, works sometimes but others makes no difference or even worse as the machining tolerances in the plates vary and are eccentric. If the leak is only minor id go with the drip tray suggestion and a can of degreaser every 6 months or so.

Ozzie

JCCC Warrnambool
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ozzie'z Supercharged VY Calais
Before you go spending the $800+

Try spending $12 on some stop leak/ seal rejuvinator additive to engine oil.

I used similar stuff in my old VN which seemed to work well.

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
Its a standard thing on commodores, unless you have oil really badly dripping out of it all over your driveway then forget about it. It dosnt hurt it.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
If it's dripping onto the exhaust pipe it may be the rocker cover(s) leaking - try degreasing the engine and then try and locate exactly where the oil is leaking from.

Ozpacman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
Mate just a word of warning re your leak. Have a look from above the rear of your engine and just make sure it's not a rear intake manifiold seal leaking oil over the bellhousing and subsequently finding it's way down to the bottom. Mine had a fairly reasonable leak and at first glance from the underside it looked like a rear main seal gone. Did the seals and gaskets and degreased everything down and she's all good underneath now. Worth a look before you go too far.

Cheers,

Russ