Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Smaller tool for rim nuts?

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I have had the save issue, I got some VN SS (I think) Tri Spoke rims on my car, the rims and nuts are fine but my wheel brace (The X tool) is too fat to fit into the nut holes, so I ended up using a tourque wrench a socket and an extension.

I'm planning a trip to autobarn or repco this week for a new wheel brace, pitty as my wheel brace is like a million years old, my dad handed it down to me, guess it will have to live a happy life in the shed.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
a lot of the rims have very small holes and have special nuts and a special tool to do them up that has grooves instead of flat sides like normal nuts the tool slides over the nut then you use the wheel brace like normal on the nut on the tool

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
had the same problem with the camry (yes, a camry with factory alloys) - the bar that came with the car didn't fit but i found a wheel brace that did - it was only a $10 one i think but it did the job the whole 4 or whatever times i ever had to take a wheel off.

Tas_HSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR HSV Clubsport
Go to your toolkit,and grab out the 21mm or imperial equivalant sparkplug socket....should slide in the hole nicely,and fit snugly on your wheelnut...pull out the rubber insert first if your plug socket has one....never found a wheel yet that the trusty plug socket wont go in....my plug socket has a hex head where the rachet plugs in,so the standard wheelbrace fits the end

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
The nuts aren't the problem though... the hole in the rim that the nuts sit in, is smaller than my X-tool.

Oh lol. I only ever buy genuine holden parts, so never had such and issue with wheels before.
Maybe do the same.

rocco555

Reaction score
Members Ride
E46 M3
what you need to solve your problem is called a 'thin wall socket'

they are specifically designed for this purpose, to fit in tight holes and not damage your rims... a lot of auto shops sell them, else ebay

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Go to your toolkit,and grab out the 21mm or imperial equivalant sparkplug socket....should slide in the hole nicely,and fit snugly on your wheelnut...pull out the rubber insert first if your plug socket has one....never found a wheel yet that the trusty plug socket wont go in....my plug socket has a hex head where the rachet plugs in,so the standard wheelbrace fits the end

^^ My exact solution, the handy sparkplug socket

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Had the same problem until I used a bench grinder to grind down the outside diameter of my wheel nut 'X' tool.

Ms 5ltr VK

I drive faster than boys!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais 5ltr
The problem is simple.
Get a big spark plug socket and attatch it to a wheel brace.
If you have just a standard tyre lever, it won't work, You can get cross braces for under ten bucks.