Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Smaller wheel options?

ascottaudio

AscottAudio
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V8
Although fitting big wheels is the norm these days..and the VE looks great with 19's or 20's..I am reluctant to change to anything bigger. My VE has been lowered and with the standard 16" wheels it has (IMO) a peferct balance between ride and handleing (for daily driving).
I know the ride will get harder if I go bigger...so I'm looking at what options I have with the standard size..not many by the looks of it..I cant even find any after market plastic wheel covers to fit 16's!
My other thoughts were to take off the covers and get some chrome wheel surounds..I have seen these on another car..but again cant find any yet..
I also thought of going "old school" and getting the steel wheels "chromed"..or white walling the tyres..anyway..it may turn out its not a realistic option but maybe some other peoples thoughs will help..

Mike08

No Back seat drivers
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute
I run 18's on my Omega mate and they are more than suitable for my needs.

I live in a area which has some fairly bad roads and providing you don't aim for the potholes,they look and work great. The ride is not to bad at all.

Horses for courses is the best policy in my books.

Cheers mate.

ascottaudio

AscottAudio
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V8
combo

Just wondering if your car is lowered as well?...
I know most VE's have bigger wheels (than the omega)..but its the combination of big wheels and lowering that I think may give an unacceptable ride..
I hope I am wrong...(and I would like some comments from owners that have both big wheels and a lowered car)...but seems like a the combo of low/big wheels is inevitably going to make the car ride harder.
Dont get me wrong...I would like to put 20's or 22's on my car..I would.. if I could have a low big wheeled car that had a ride that was good.
I may be bit paranoid about this as I have just come from 10 years of owning lowered big wheeled imports..and one reason I came back to a commodore was the nice compliant ride..

Cheers and thanks

redvess

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
I went from 18's to 20's in my SS and didnt feel any differnce, if anything it actually felt like a better ride with the 20's and thats with super low springs which feel the same as the FE2s so I'd say if you upgraded to say 18's you wouldnt feel a difference the suspension in the VE's is alot more suphisticated than previous generations so it alot more forgiving when lowered with bigger rims. I want to sell my old 18's, check the first few pics in my ride thread and see what you think http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/ve-wm/93999-my-modified-red-ve-ss.html