Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Smashed Rim VY SS UTE

al

Reaction score
i was driving my vy ss ute and only had it for 2 weeks gave it a major service but didnt get breaks done before i had an accident whilst i was driving i put my foot down a little bit the car took off but slid a little once i pressed my breaks however i didnt get much response then smashed into the curb smashing my right driver side rim and tyre.

it has been 2 weeks and i have done all the work myself in fixing it. note that i gave the car a major service and looking after just after i purchased it.
these where my first steps towards trying to fix what i thought was a small problem
1. i got a new set of rims n tyres and brake pads and discs along with brake fluid
2.control arm and front bushes changed brand new
still the problem was fixed 100%
3.i then got a wheel alignment as i was told that would fix it
not 100% either
4.changed the front drivers side hub bearing as i was getting a grinding rough sound and feeling whilst driving and turning and got another wheel aligntment
got a little better but still not the same
i dunno what to do im still getting a little bit rough ride it dosnt take bumps well i get a rattle sometimes. also now left side is a little rough

franklinfrog

Reaction score
Website
www.cheapbrisbanebikes.com
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon 5.7 Auto Wikid Postie Bike
So is the problem that you have no brakes? You either have no brakes or you can't handle the power of an ss? V8's are powerful cars, so you need to be careful or you'll wreck a lot more than a rim.

I'm assuming you have a brake problem as it's a bit unclear, but the fact that you got no response from the pedal and are getting grinding noises could be brakes. Did you bleed the brakes correctly? Correct corner first? Did you put the pads in the right way? Is the tyre rubbing on the guard anywhere? Do the brakes actually work or are you just complaining about a grinding sound?

vy2002

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
i dont know if this helps, but about 10 years ago i smacked a wheel into a curb and had similar symptoms. ended up being the shock absorber was slightly bent. couldnt really see an issue while it was still in the car, but when it was taken out, it was an obvious problem. I was getting light clunking, and sloppy suspension before it was changed

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
Were the rims and tyres you put on the same size as thee ones you took off. If you use bigger wheels with low profile tyres you will get a rough bouncy ride. Were the bushes you put in, the standard rubber ones or Nolathane? Nolathane with give a slightly harsher ride because they dont flex as much as rubber.