Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Smelly A/C

mov

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS V IGNITION
I have had a horrible musky dank smeel coming from the A/C . Car is 1 year old and people have commented on the smell. It is not always there, but usually when I start the car for a while and if I happen to turn off the AC and later back on again, the smell will return for a while.
I have heard it is bacteria causing the smell....can anyone recommed what i should do or have had similar experience?
(Also posted in A?C section):cry:

JanetSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ignition
Our car is around same age as your's mov. We haven't had that happen yet but have only just started to use a/c again in last couple of weeks. Not looking forward to it happening either. Do u run a/c on recirc or on fresh mode? I usually run ours on fresh. No idea if it'd make a difference tho with that sort of problem

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
ive heard of it on older cars. as in much older, 15 years etc.. where the drainage pipe for the a/c under the dash becomes blocked. and the moisture from the evaperator builds up, turns into mould, and there is your musky smell.
but i highly doubt a car one year old would do this. just maybe worth lookin at

mov

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS V IGNITION
thanks naf33n, someone else I know suggested the same - will check it out.

abuz4u

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Commodore
"Wurth" make a product that you spray in the fresh air duct. Its designed to kill any bateria and provide a fresh smell.

I used it a few years ago in my vs statesman

mag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 1 Acclaim 2003
"Wurth" make a product that you spray in the fresh air duct. Its designed to kill any bateria and provide a fresh smell.

I used it a few years ago in my vs statesman

Yes also had good success with spraying Glen-20 in the fresh air intake..

And as above have said, fresh air on or recycle all the time and do you smoke??

mov

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS V IGNITION
I thought of Glen 20 or Scholl Foot Spray but have not tried it yet. Car runs on fresh air all the time and i do not smoke. I am tending to think it has to do with the A/C condensation getting in the carpet but as the smell is not there all the time, it somehow flaws my argument..

Ronaldw

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE CALAIS DEC 2007
When I read the brochures on the VE they said that they put a special filter in the Air-Con to sift out pollen and all those type of things, maybe it is blocked up or it may not be in the right position, maybe worth a check!!

VESS06

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ignition VE SS
When I had a new VT II SS it also had this smelly problem coming out of the a/c vents.

Holden said it was a rare bacterial issue and that it was not warrantable, so I had to pay 50 odd bucks for them to do some sort of a/c anti-bacterial service.

Thankfully the awful odour never returned.

btc1678

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
ive got a 06 vz sv6 and would think I have a simmilar smell coming from my ac. I use my ac probably everyday but the smell isnt there all the time. I use the rescirc all the time aswell. Got to have some warranty work done when the parts come in. I suppose it will be another thing I ask them about when I take it in.