Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Smoke from engine oil dipstick tube and dipstick

benjo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS S2 Thunder Ute
Hi guys

I have a MY12 SS thunder ute 9000ks on the clock.

For a little while now i have been smelling oil inside the cabin when sitting at lights, didn't think much of it as it was just serviced and maybe a bit of oil splashed on the exhaust manifold, its had plenty of time to burn off but still persists.

After just taking it for a quick spin this afternoon, I thought I would check the oil, i pulled the dipstick out and I thought the dipstick was on fire smoke was pouring off the dipstick from top to bottom and also smoke coming out of the dipstick tube which slowly dissipated.

I am guessing this is not normal ? could any one shed some light on what may be going on, maybe it is normal dont know...

Its booked in for Thursday fro Holden to have a look.

thanks guys

benjo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS S2 Thunder Ute
Dodgy oil maybe?

Maybe Im not sure what oil they have put in there but its had a few oil changes since I got it.

Changed at 3000K service, had it changed at 7500K and the 9 month 15000K service was done a couple of weeks ago 9500K on clock.

Note when I had the oil changes at 7500K at my expense on getting home i noticed on the invoice they said they put in 10w40 not the advised 5w30, they changed it to 5w30 DEXOS 2 a couple of days later when i arked up as wasn't happy they were not putting Dex in it to begin with.

Another thing i have noticed for a while is when its cold if i go over 2 grand usually in first and second it makes this weird sound and i freak out and think that must be hurting the engine somehow lol and back off goes away when warm.

benjo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS S2 Thunder Ute
Booked< id drive it to their door mate.

Yer Will its booked for Thursday and am droping it there Wednesday so they take it for a spin when its cold to hopefully hear the noise

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
Maybe Im not sure what oil they have put in there but its had a few oil changes since I got it.

Changed at 3000K service, had it changed at 7500K and the 9 month 15000K service was done a couple of weeks ago 9500K on clock.

Note when I had the oil changes at 7500K at my expense on getting home i noticed on the invoice they said they put in 10w40 not the advised 5w30, they changed it to 5w30 DEXOS 2 a couple of days later when i arked up as wasn't happy they were not putting Dex in it to begin with.

Another thing i have noticed for a while is when its cold if i go over 2 grand usually in first and second it makes this weird sound and i freak out and think that must be hurting the engine somehow lol and back off goes away when warm.

You would not be the first person who has found oil odours coming from the engine because the incorrect oil has been used in their series 2.

First you said "they" (not being a Holden dealership) used a 10w -40 oil (god knows what) and then they used a 5W-30 DEXOS 2. Well you should be aware that DEXOS 2 oils are solely formulated for GM Diesel Engines and cannot be used in commodore engines.

(Perhaps you should tell us where you had this done so others can avoid them.)

You are supposed to use 5w-30 DEXOS 1 oils which are designed/formulated for GM petrol engines (such as Mobil 1 5w-30 Dexos 1).

You need to be extra careful as use of incorrect lubricants in the engine etc. ( ie. lubrcants which are not GM spec for your particular vehicle) can result in a warranty claim being denied if it is a lubricant related cause.

Phantom

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 SV6 Sportwagon series 2 and a VY exec 2
I can not beleive they still use that rubbish semi synth 10W30 in their services. Yes you are right, they need to use what GM recommend for the engine, as it says on the oil cap,
5W30, not bloody 10W30. Just another example of Holden dealers not giving a fark about our vehicles and just wanting to make a huge profit. I also remember when I picked up my VE, and I got home and checked the oil etc, and I was amazed to see smoke coming off the dipstick also. It was also running 10W30 semi synth Holden stealership crap, I quickly changed to 5W30 full synth Castrol Edge, a lot better.

benjo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS S2 Thunder Ute
thing that worries me now is it most definitely says on invoice DEX 2 which i believe is a diesel engine oil as Sean says above.

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 TT/'13 VF Senator/'11 WM CapriceV/Hayabusa
Shouldnt be seeing any oil smoke or smell unless the PCV is blocked or something no matter what oil is used. The crank case should be under slight vacuum. There should be a sight vacuum at the dipstick tube when the dipstick is removed.

All the crap should be sucked back into the T/B.