Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Smoke from engine oil dipstick tube and dipstick

Phantom

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 SV6 Sportwagon series 2 and a VY exec 2
Shouldnt be seeing any oil smoke or smell unless the PCV is blocked or something no matter what oil is used. The crank case should be under slight vacuum. There should be a sight vacuum at the dipstick tube when the dipstick is removed.

All the crap should be sucked back into the T/B.
I agree, but does your car have an SIDI engine? are you making assumptions based on an ecotec engine? If so, you are miles off because the SIDI is a toatally differant engine, it runs hotter, and is also more demanding on oil. FFS after an oil change, at around 6500ks I have noticed the oil start to change colour, slightly goes black, and then the SIDI will start to consume it. Understand? totally differant engines dude and totally differant characteristics, thats why so many people complaining of oil consumption issues. Yeah yeah yeah and before you all say, ahh mate your engine is farked, that is BS cause if it was, oil would be consumed from fresh, not after doing 6500k's.
OK

iaydemir

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Berlina
I agree, but does your car have an SIDI engine? are you making assumptions based on an ecotec engine? If so, you are miles off because the SIDI is a toatally differant engine, it runs hotter, and is also more demanding on oil. FFS after an oil change, at around 6500ks I have noticed the oil start to change colour, slightly goes black, and then the SIDI will start to consume it. Understand? totally differant engines dude and totally differant characteristics, thats why so many people complaining of oil consumption issues. Yeah yeah yeah and before you all say, ahh mate your engine is farked, that is BS cause if it was, oil would be consumed from fresh, not after doing 6500k's.
OK

OP owns a 2012 SS Thunder - 6.0 V8.
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/ve-wm/202826-chlorophyll-ss-thunder-ute.html

Last edited:

K-BAGZ

De Plane! De Plane!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II S-pac V6 Ute / VZ SV6 Sedan / VZ R8
SIDI has no meaning here.

Phantom, you basically own a direct injection Alloytec. That's what SIDI is, Spark Ignition Direct Injection.

The Holden LS GenIV's aren't even direct injected.

mshagg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series Ute
If there's doubts regarding the correct spec oil having been used, then obviously the first port of call is to have that rectified. If it was indeed the dealership that used the wrong oil then I would be looking for them to pick up the tab, but I guess that comes down to your willingness to have that discussion. I am of the understanding that Dexos2 meets all the requirements for a petrol engine and is spec'd for GM's european petrol engines.

Have to say I find the obsession with such frequent oil changes puzzling, but anyway - agree with the comment that PCV system should be investigated for blockages in the first instance.

Phantom

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 SV6 Sportwagon series 2 and a VY exec 2
SIDI has no meaning here.

Phantom, you basically own a direct injection Alloytec. That's what SIDI is, Spark Ignition Direct Injection.

The Holden LS GenIV's aren't even direct injected.

Yeah and your point? I was replying to IBLOWN
His profile says" Ride:VS V6 TwinTurbo/VT SS "
Ecotec big difference to SIDI
Oh no I used the SIDI word again:rockon:

K-BAGZ

De Plane! De Plane!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II S-pac V6 Ute / VZ SV6 Sedan / VZ R8
"I need a hero"

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Hi davey

All work and oil changes have been done at the dealership I brought it from

If the work undertaken has been done by the dealership , then I'd be having serious "words " with the dealer principal , and the service manager , because that just ain't good enough , hope it works out mate , I would be spitting brass tacks if it were me .

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Yeah and your point? I was replying to IBLOWN
His profile says" Ride:VS V6 TwinTurbo/VT SS "
Ecotec big difference to SIDI
Oh no I used the SIDI word again:rockon:

IBLOWN is talking about basic fundamental principals, and you start spitting off that SIDI is very different to an Ecotec...when the OP wasn't asking about SIDI?

So I have to ask. "yeah and your point?"

Sent from here, so you can read it there. via iPhone.