Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Smoke from engine oil dipstick tube and dipstick

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 TT/'13 VF Senator/'11 WM CapriceV/Hayabusa
Yeah and your point? I was replying to IBLOWN
His profile says" Ride:VS V6 TwinTurbo/VT SS "
Ecotec big difference to SIDI
Oh no I used the SIDI word again:rockon:

The hell are you on about lol?

He's got an SS thunder. Theres no V6 mentioned anywhere. You think that because i have an Ecotec i only know about Ecotec lol?

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
The hell are you on about lol?

He's got an SS thunder. Theres no V6 mentioned anywhere. You think that because i have an Ecotec i only know about Ecotec lol?

Thank you for making that point , I was thinking ...... hang on he has a V8 and there going on about the alloytec sidi .

benjo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS S2 Thunder Ute
Just to update had it looked at took it to for a drive with the Technician cold start and the knock was acknowledged and seems to be cold fuel knock or something it doesn't do it on E85 for some reason so am going to try different fuel and see if that makes a difference.

As for the smoking dipstick that freaked me out I have been able to reproduce it and at Holden, it hasn't used any oil which is good, it seems the top of the dipstick tube that runs up between the headers gets real hot and any oil residue right up the top of the dipstick burns away when first pulled out and is gone in a few seconds, Im going to wrap the dipstick tube in some heat resistant asbestos stuff I use for work and see if that cools the dipstick down and stops it as I am sure this is where the slight burnt oils smell is coming from any way will see what happens

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
Im going to wrap the dipstick tube in some heat resistant asbestos stuff I use for work

Sounds real safe :hmmm: ;)

Do you have aftermarket headers?

benjo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS S2 Thunder Ute
The asbestos is safe its not the breathable stuff.

Just standard headers mate would be good if someone could check their oil straight after a drive and see if it does the same as mine

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I can not beleive they still use that rubbish semi synth 10W30 in their services. Yes you are right, they need to use what GM recommend for the engine, as it says on the oil cap,
5W30, not bloody 10W30. Just another example of Holden dealers not giving a fark about our vehicles and just wanting to make a huge profit.

No mention of weather it was a dealer or independent mechanic who put it there.

I agree, but does your car have an SIDI engine? are you making assumptions based on an ecotec engine? If so, you are miles off because the SIDI is a toatally differant engine, it runs hotter, and is also more demanding on oil. FFS after an oil change, at around 6500ks I have noticed the oil start to change colour, slightly goes black, and then the SIDI will start to consume it. Understand? totally differant engines dude and totally differant characteristics, thats why so many people complaining of oil consumption issues. Yeah yeah yeah and before you all say, ahh mate your engine is farked, that is BS cause if it was, oil would be consumed from fresh, not after doing 6500k's.
OK

Shouldn't matter. SIDI or no SIDI, it can't vent crank case vapours to the atmosphere and will have some mechanism (pcv or similar) to direct them to the intake. By design the crank case will need slight vacuum to control the gas and not have it popping out dip sticks etc every time you give it a boot full.

btw - many modern engines consume oil. And by modern I'm talking anything built in the last 20 years. The question is usually what is considered acceptable to the consumer between services.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
Just standard headers mate

Something doesn't sound right then. I doubt GM would put the headers / dipstick in a location which would cause your issue.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
^^ agreed tis a furphy, classic stealership wank (being a rehabilitated service manager myself). Once oil splashes around near the exhaust for whatever reason, and in this case I suggest the dipstick wasn't fully sheathed to the rubber hilt at some point, else you spilt a bit on withdrawal (get your rhythm right)!
http://youtu.be/Tc1IphRx1pk
It can take ages to burn all of the residual tarry crude, at varying temperatures. The smoke present in the crank immediately after switching off happens with my car, don't know the intricacies of the air-oil separation / PCV but am confident some vapour in the crank is normal.
I have the same engine, and FWIW I use Royal Purple XPR 10w40 racing synthetic and clocked 120,000 km in two years, runs like mum's Pfaff (it's a sewing machine, not a euphemism)!

Last edited: