Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Smoke from gearboot/stick

calais24/7

Mucca Mad Boys
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais II 5L, 98 rodeo v6
hey mate i just had a thought, keep an eye on the transmission oil in the gearbox, the front seal of the box may be leaking into the clutch and the clutch is cooking the oil. just a thought but no one else has any better ideas

I was meant to check the fluid level when i had it jacked up. My car is a bit of a pain in the ass to jack up. Anyway ill hopefully be able to do it again this week. There was no visible damage, leaks or anything while i was underneath

bnghardy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 v6 vu ute
Just another spanner in the cog, how about checking the rear tappet cover seals v6 & v8 and valley gasket on the v8s i know the oil runs down at the back of the block onto exhaust when the seal perishes,
some times you can't see it leaking.
just a thought.

1SIKR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK -Project-, VX R8 Clubsport
is it still smoking? and have you managed to check the oil level ? you won't be able to tell if the frount seal on the gearbox is leaking when its in there, they only way to check is to take the box out. or if there is a cover you can take off ( im not sure if they have one, just going by what i see at work on trucks )

calais24/7

Mucca Mad Boys
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais II 5L, 98 rodeo v6
noo idea, i pulled the plug out and it was definatly full on oil, i drained im guessing half a litre out max to put an additive in, but i got at most 100 ml of the additive in becuase it was soo fkn thick to go through the pump and i couldnt get anymore in. Will that be ok or should i top it up a little bit as soon as i can?