Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Smoke from gearboot/stick

calais24/7

Mucca Mad Boys
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais II 5L, 98 rodeo v6
This could have been posted in vl section. But figured it wasn't related to a vl specifically

Well ive got a pretty fkn wierd problem. Ages ago i noticed smoke kinda wafting up from my gearboot/stick. it was only visible when i stopped at a traffic light and it scared the **** outta me. Didnt happen again so i didnt think much of it. But now its more and more constant. Even if i go for a 2min drive it will appear. Its a really white thin kinda smoke. Even when i was going 110 down the highway it got still wafted out but started getting a bit worse and now its getting worse in general. When i say worse i mean regualy and a little more smoke. I have absoloutly nfi and have asked a few people and googled it. It isn't the handbrake light shorting, and there are no other wires around it. No oil is leaking on to the exhaust either ( and if it was how could it come through the gear boot while going 110, wouldnt it blow under the car). So yeah im absoloutly stumped. The gearbox has only been in about 8 months, so obviuosly fluid is that old too. it is a mx5 5 speed
Any ideas greatly appreciated

Last edited:

bogan_vk

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
hole in exhaust at the top near the shifter? or maybe a positive wire touching earth under the console, just a couple of things i can think of.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
probably oil leaking from the engine/gearbox and blowing onto the exhaust.
hot air/smoke rises, so it probably found it's way through a gap in the shifter boot

have a look under the car, and look for oil/leaks stains on the exhaust

bogan_vk

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
power steering fluid on the exhaust smokes alot too.

calais24/7

Mucca Mad Boys
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais II 5L, 98 rodeo v6
It's not constant, there are no leaks that i can see. There are no wires that are running under the centre console so it cant be that. I know hot air rises bit even if it was something burning on the exhuast wouldnt it just blow away under the car? Like while im going 110 kays there shouldnt be any smoke wafting up from outside. If it was my guess it would be more pouring in, it just like slowly rises up its realy strange

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Yeah, i would take the boot off to see where its coming from. Top of where the shifted goes into the box or front the side somewhere.

Also, what does it smell like? Next time it happens, sniff the smoke... lol

Might give you an idea if its electrical smoke, oil smoke or maybe steam?