Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Smokers Pack install

hwystar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 5.7 Calais
I have a 05' V8 Calais and I want to install a smokers pack in. The reason for this is to have another poweroutlet for the GPS rather than use the one in the console.

Anyway I want to know if the wiring is there already behind the compartment and it is just a matter of installing it and plugging it in etc. Also after a bit of searching I have a part number of 92146373 and an approximiate cost of around $50 from holden....does that sound right?

Any advice/photo's on how any of you out there have done this mod would be great...

Cheers and thansk in advance...

Andrew

hingo1983

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
I was considering doing the same thing once. I think another good option for your GPS is to just tap into where the fuses are below the steering column and run a cable out from there. You will need to convert the power source to the right voltage etc but that should be easy to do by dismantling a cigarette lighter to USB converter. I was considering doing that with mine but I am happy enough with running it from the centre console.

Just a thought.

bludeck

Wishlist = Blowa
Reaction score
Members Ride
jj
ive got a double adapter power 12v cigar lighter style installed on the bootom of the glovebox exterior. works great for gps and phone charger.

hwystar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 5.7 Calais
Thanks for the idea's but I would prefer to have the smokers pack with the cigerette lighter for mobile phone charging and GPS duties. At some stage I am going to install a UHF radio as well (remote head type not sure which one yet) and I will look at hardwiring that in the electrics somehow or straight to the car battery (looking at 25 watt UHF radio).

So has anyone out there installed a smokers pack in a VZ?? IS the wiring for it there behind the compartment under the radio???

Cheers

bludeck

Wishlist = Blowa
Reaction score
Members Ride
jj
thats what i installed, a double cigerette lighter for power duties, ie, phone + gps, hidden on the bottom of the glovebox hardwired to acc 12v and is great ie, no wires everywhere.

baracuda

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
if you remove the kickpanel/trim on driverside of centre console, you will see a white 3 pin connector clipped into framework under the radio.(possible same wire harness as the VT-VX days but no longer needed so just hidden away. as the VT-VX had a "power outlet " located in lil tray rather then centre console)) 1 pin is negative the other one is +12v acesories(ideal for GPS,etc etc) the other pin is +12v on light circuit(ideal for footwell lights ie neons etc).
this is the same connector used to plug the smokers pack into but why pay, for a lil bit of wire?
as my tom-tom came with a car kit( reduced 12v to 5.5v. straight 12v will kill your gps) i wired it straight into the plug and also used the same plug for 2 small green neons for front footwells.

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
yes, Ive done exactly that fitted a smokers pack for the GPS.

Remove the center console panel around the gearstick/window switches. Remove the panel around the radio and AC controls (theres tonnes of topics with the how to)

Unscrew the old flip down compartment

You'll see a plug hard wired in there. Just shove the smokers pack in and the plugs line up perfectly. Re-screw in and reverse the process to put the dash panels back on.

$50 sounds right, you also need the new cover panel which is sold seperately and this depends on your interior colour, dont know if Holdens included that in the price they quoted or not.

hwystar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 5.7 Calais
Thanks for the info all...

Torquative when you mention I would need a new cover panel which cover panel are you refering to??