Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Smokey Headlights

Bob Watson

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 Ve Berlina
Hi Guys, I've just finished a 4,000+ trip to Southern N.S.W.. I decided to go the coast way ( bad move around Sydney ) anyway the poor low beam really showed up and it it wasn't for the spotties I couldn't have seen the road in front of me. Before the trip I had been investigating ways of getting rid of the grime that builds up or into the headlight covers. Other than going to the expense of buying new ones the most popular way of improving them was with 5000 grit wet/dry plenty of soapy water both on the paper as well as the screen. Well that was a dismal failure in many ways. I still cant work out how 5000 grit W/D and heaps of soapy water can leave grooves in the lens. I was talking to my mate who I was visiting in Howlong and he had heard that the 5000 grit was the best way to go. He then decided to put some WD40 on a rag so he could have a closer look at the scratches. So he sprays it onto the lens then wipes it off. We both looked at each other with that WTF look. So he added more WD40 to the lens, then went to the other and did the same thing. Result; the WD40 cleaned up the lenes beautifully ( no it didn't remove the scratches ). the WD40 inproved the clarity of the lenes by a good 90%.
That afternoon whilst picking my neice up from school I noticed this Korean Family Van ( not sure of the breed ) and his lenses where heaps worse than mine were originally. Suggested to him that he try WD40, he looked a bit skeptical at my suggestion. The following afternoon waiting to pick up my neice this guy pulled up and was full of thanks for the suggestion. I had a look and yes they were a lot better. Even though WD40 is made up by a lot of compounds, we believe it's the fishoil that is the ingredient that does the job. A long winded explanation, but an impoprtant one for any driver that has foggy lenses.

Steve-2010SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE MY10 SS COMMODORE
That's bloody awesome, I'm going to give it a go, thanks for the info.
With my last commodore , i was getting it serviced at Holden and i mentioned the Smokey looking headlights and they cleaned them up by doing as you did, they sanded them with wet & dry sandpaper and then they polished them.
Thanks again for the WD40 tip.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
WD40 is also very good for keeping wheels looking spic and span.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
WD40 is also very good for keeping wheels looking spic and span.

It really isn't good for paint unless your getting rid of it with something else soon afterwards.

Last edited:

Bob Watson

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 Ve Berlina
Firstly I used Novus some years back and ended up throwing it in the bin. The video said it could do just about anything, but I found it couldn't make me a decent cup of coffee lolol. Seriously though my last Commodore VY always had crystal clear headlight covers. This was due to the fact that the original owner put covers on both the headlights and bonnet, I carried on the same. Like all things when you buy second hand your not there when it rolls off the showroom floor ( hangon they don't do that anymore lol ). The WD40 was an absolute fluke, but like most things someone has probably thought about it before moi. Let us know how you go Steve?

Bob

Bob Watson

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 Ve Berlina
It has been about 5 weeks since I came back from my trip. Headlights still as clear as the day they were done. I have heard or read where some have said it didn't work. but they probably didn't hold their tongue right when they did it lol.
Another question though, how can you remove the headrests on the front seats? If anyone knows, don't keep it to yourself lol.

JoshlikesCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z
Best way to fix headlights: 800> 1500> 2000> cutting compound> polish> then spray a few coats of acrylic clear> job done

Bob Watson

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 Ve Berlina
Hey Josh, that's what I was going to do lol except it didn't turn out that way ( read original post )

Cam-ralph

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
It has been about 5 weeks since I came back from my trip. Headlights still as clear as the day they were done. I have heard or read where some have said it didn't work. but they probably didn't hold their tongue right when they did it lol.
Another question though, how can you remove the headrests on the front seats? If anyone knows, don't keep it to yourself lol.
There should be a small pinhole in the right hand side of the headrest opposition the button you push to lower/raise the headrest, use a paper clip or something and insert while pushing the button on the other side and it should come out