Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Snake Season

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
"I'm sorry but NO snake in Australia will seek out people or actively attack them. All they ever want to do, is get away from humans. Far better than killing them (and risking a bite in the process) is proper education. See one, calmly go the other way. Different when it's on your property or in your house but they will NOT attack you even then. They will try to get away from you. Please, just leave them alone. Or if they're actually in your way, have them removed and relocated."

Try explaining that to a two year old, like the poor little bugger helping to collect eggs and was bitten 3 times by the tiapan.

Generally true but not always. Once worked at a site where there was a large red bellied black who lived in the pump house. He was so quiet you had to touch him every time you turned the pump on. However, there were others on the same site who would come towards you while you were riding a noisy motorbike and strike you on the heel of the boot. Extremely aggressive. Not sure why.

pebbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE series 2
Just a heads up for you Sheldon, this from today's newspaper

QUEENSLAND Ambulance Service paramedics have been called to more than 500 snakebite cases already this year.

410 shottie the only way to go, turns a big snake into many little dead ones.

NPreston

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC
12 Gauge is better. I've been bitten on the ankle while camping, didn't feel the bite and had no idea I had been bitten until I got home. Thing that saved me was that I was bitten through my sock. Saw the bite while showering and thought it must have been from leaches in the creek, bloody sick the next morning and for a few days after. They are not my friend.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
In South Africa we have the black mamba , not to mention lions , crocs even the mosquito, and many others that "WILL" kill you if given the chance .

Sheldon Cooper

Reaction score
Members Ride
String Theory
Just a heads up for you Sheldon, this from today's newspaper

QUEENSLAND Ambulance Service paramedics have been called to more than 500 snakebite cases already this year.

Only 500? Wow! And here I thought there were plenty more STUPID people in QLD than that...

Trennaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Qwerty
There is genuinely so much stupid in this thread.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Only 500? Wow! And here I thought there were plenty more STUPID people in QLD than that...

Not really.....The majority that live out bush, kill them when they see them, to save getting bitten......It's plain, the 500 or so that got bitten, where a little slow with the trigger finger, or miscued with the shovel..:)

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
In South Africa we have the black mamba , not to mention lions , crocs even the mosquito, and many others that "WILL" kill you if given the chance .

And what is the defence mechanism the humans use to prevent being killed by these beautiful creatures?

I know aeroguard is fairly good in this country to prevent getting bitten by mosquitoes, however I am unsure if it is available over there. Oh and I think a 410 or 12 gauge is a little over the top for the common mozzi :)

JMP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Berlina
12 Gauge is better. I've been bitten on the ankle while camping, didn't feel the bite and had no idea I had been bitten until I got home. Thing that saved me was that I was bitten through my sock. Saw the bite while showering and thought it must have been from leaches in the creek, bloody sick the next morning and for a few days after. They are not my friend.

Don't mention guns, even though some of those against killing snakes in this thread are against gun control I don't think they'll quite agree with shooting them. Lets keep guns for what they were invented for, killing each other.