Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Snapped AC compressor housing, help?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
This looks like bad news.
Inked92C204A8-672F-48A2-98C1-9A7A50E33612 (1)_LI.jpg

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I thought that these ac units were supported by a bracket bolted to the engine. The ac unit then pivoted on its two ears, one connected to the ac mount and the other to the block.

If it’s only the cast iron mount on the block which has snapped, I’d chat to a professional welder as such broken cast bits can be rewelded successfully, then the bolt hole re-drilled and tapped and the mounting surface ground flat. Maybe all can be done with the engine in situ…

Then just bolt the ac unit back where it should be. If the lower ac comp ear is also cracked, you’ll need a new compressor and regas.

If it can’t be successfully weld repaired in situ, then costs become an issue. Maybe a different bracket/strap can be made to mount the top of the ac elsewhere (like the higher bolt hole near the radiator hose). Some ac service shops are wiz’s. Else have a look here for them Yep of bracket/strap you could bodgie up…

http://support.maceengineering.com....iew/304/0/fitting-vs-vy-l67-into-vr-commodore

WattaV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
L67 Vx Commodore 2000
Yeah that’s where I believe it cracked today, the bolt looks new, however the other bolt housing just to my right was also cracked and I couldn’t find a bolt for that, leading me to believe it was being held in via that one and it just had enough

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
Yep, that's stuffed. I'd be looking for any signs of previous attempts to repair or hide a fault.

WattaV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
L67 Vx Commodore 2000
I thought that it was bolted to the engine Mount too but apparently not in mine haha, it’s a Delphi model ac I know that for sure, so far it’s only the 2 cast iron mounts that are cracked, not good but I’ll have a look at some other places to put it like you’ve suggested, your help is much appreciated mate

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
It does sound fishy and looks a little odd in that I can’t see the ac bracket anywhere in your pic…

Just to get some sanity into the mix, I’d go by a self pick wreckers (if they have a VX) and look at how the ac is actually bolted up.

It wouldn’t surprise me the last owner misplaced the ac braket and just did a bodgy job to sell it which is why the cast iron boss where the bolt hole is located snapped. It may be that this isn’t where the ac needs to be bolted :eek:

As an fyi, the following is a VZ ac bracket which gives an idea that the ac isn’t directly bolted to the block as such…

https://www.ebay.com.au/p/938153112

Couldn’t find a VX V6 commodore ac bracket listed anywhere, so who really knows other than another VX V6 owner who could take some pics and post :p

WattaV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
L67 Vx Commodore 2000
It does sound fishy and looks a little odd in that I can’t see the ac bracket anywhere in your pic…

Just to get some sanity into the mix, I’d go by a self pick wreckers (if they have a VX) and look at how the ac is actually bolted up.

It wouldn’t surprise me the last owner misplaced the ac braket and just did a bodgy job to sell it which is why the cast iron boss where the bolt hole is located snapped. It may be that this isn’t where the ac needs to be bolted :eek:

As an fyi, the following is a VZ ac bracket which gives an idea that the ac isn’t directly bolted to the block as such…

https://www.ebay.com.au/p/938153112

Couldn’t find a VX V6 commodore ac bracket listed anywhere, so who really knows other than another VX V6 owner who could take some pics and post :p

Yeah mate hit the nail on the head been researching for these brackets all afternoon and everything just looks completely different too mine ahah, first thing tomorrow I’m off to get me some answers and my new tow bar :cool: