Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Snapped bolt (308 block)

VHCOMMO87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/X
Hello all I have this 308 engine block and the previous owner attempted to remove this snapped bolt were the water pump bolts to block and they made a dog's breakfast of it, can this be fixed by a machine shop?? As the rest of the block is in great condition and I would like to use it. Here are some pics of snapped bolt.

Attachments

• IMG_20180310_183041.jpg
    IMG_20180310_183041.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 124

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Looks like they snapped it then instead of using centre punch to undo mushroomed it flush into block :eek:

Should be able to get that drilled/tapped etc but prepare yourself for the WTF looks

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
More cars than I've got space to park!
Nothing any decent machine shop hasn't seen before I'm sure.

What sort of a job it would be depends on how it got snapped, bolts that are just over-tightened usually come out easy, unless they were bottomed-out, but if they're rusted in that might be a different story.

Either way it's not worth writing off the block over.

Andrew

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
That’ll be an easy fix. Seen some pretty bad ones, and yours is in a decent spot to access. Make sure you get it done by a reputable shop though.

I’d tackle that by smoothing the shaft of the bolt using a small tip on the die grinder, centre punching and drilling/retapping.

My 308 block’s actually a bit of a mess. Bolts were snapped on either side in the same area as yours but the outer holes and the casting looks like it had been broken away. So the corners of the block where the timing case meet have been welded back on and machined flat. Same for the 4 centre head bolt holes closest to the valley.

Rear Welch plugs must have been knocked out with a chisel and looks like the bloke slipped and took a chunk out of the Welch plug hole. I just got some jb weld and smoothed the hole and used three bond to seal around the new plug lol. That’s only the start of it too. But it was $200 and still going great after 4 or so years.

I seem to have a habit of buying things like that though. I’m happy enough to deal with if it means I can get cheap parts