Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Snow Chains at the North Pole Safety Alert. !!!!!!

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
Hey There,
Have a look at the clearance on the vf sv6 wheel clearance....obviously you can get chains to fit any size tyre....but if you want to travel at more than the recommended speed of 50kmh...and bottom out and wreck the wheel arches ...well so be it....this thread was for sensible people.....not " MUNT's " like you.

fyi, when i used the term "munt", it was slang for "damage/destroy/break"

The popular Australian meaning is to be broken or unusable.
Hey dude I drove over a squirrel the other day. I've got it here - look its completely munted!

Urban Dictionary: munt

scroll down for essentially what you called me, not very nice when i was posting useful information and reasonable questions.

top bloke you are!!

J

Jingle Bells

I thought it was the allocated day of worship in the Holy City? Jews on Saturday, Christians on Sunday.

You are right....a week is a period of seven days...usually from one Sunday to the next..in this modern day and age the populace see Sunday as the last day of the week...but not engraved in stone or passed by the Federal Gov. and the Senate....thank God for Clive Palmer !

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Sunday is still the first day of the week to me... And I'm not religious.

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
LOLs at the thought of Santa fitting chains to his sleigh... "damn hire place, no presents for them this year ho ho hoooo"

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The slides are non-skid and are made of North Korean high tensile steel as recommended by Kim Jong IL...He does not want to wage war on the North Pole as he is occupied with the other North at the moment !!!

Fairly sure he's actually more occupied with the south, the Americas, the.........

I guess no chrissy pressies for me this year.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Laying in the slushy mud changing chains twice a day with frozen fingers on an SSV is a mug's game, for sure. So I have done a bit of research into options:
I have Brembo four pot & 14" rotors all round, the most effective and practical solution is to swap Calais 18" alloys fitted with snow logo approved 'winter' tyres, that's about a grand.

AD0563AC-0374-4168-BF2B-09899070FEAD.jpg

Otherwise 17" rims and winter tyre combo is a lot cheaper and clears stock brakes

AED02690-C075-4101-9AF4-48324E139593.jpg

7B6570FD-AC96-49AD-A193-D004EDE47603.jpg

It is also possible to take 1/16 off the Brembo caliper and engineer them to fit 17s

F4C191A5-EFB7-493C-AA85-9312B909CB86.jpg

BA1ED5AA-4280-4399-97A1-CFC597F1AF0A.jpg

But after much friggin with the frozen riggin this season I've settled on these, cost around $750 direct from Japan, but superior driving and fitting and no wheel changing:

[video=youtube_share;UZEEQzaBd4c]http://youtu.be/UZEEQzaBd4c[/video]

Several car manufacturers offer as standard kit in Japan.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
*sigh* yup - it's school holidays again. :(

J

Jingle Bells

Laying in the slushy mud changing chains twice a day with frozen fingers on an SSV is a mug's game, for sure. So I have done a bit of research into options:
I have Brembo four pot & 14" rotors all round, the most effective and practical solution is to swap Calais 18" alloys fitted with snow logo approved 'winter' tyres, that's about a grand.

AD0563AC-0374-4168-BF2B-09899070FEAD.jpg

Otherwise 17" rims and winter tyre combo is a lot cheaper and clears stock brakes

AED02690-C075-4101-9AF4-48324E139593.jpg

7B6570FD-AC96-49AD-A193-D004EDE47603.jpg

It is also possible to take 1/16 off the Brembo caliper and engineer them to fit 17s

F4C191A5-EFB7-493C-AA85-9312B909CB86.jpg

BA1ED5AA-4280-4399-97A1-CFC597F1AF0A.jpg

But after much friggin with the frozen riggin this season I've settled on these, cost around $750 direct from Japan, but superior driving and fitting and no wheel changing:

[video=youtube_share;UZEEQzaBd4c]http://youtu.be/UZEEQzaBd4c[/video]

Several car manufacturers offer as standard kit in Japan.

What a great idea....I take it that the actual grip material is some sort of fabric or plastic ???....and I also notice that the actual tie clamp on the side of the tyre does not come down the side of the tyre as much as the standard run of the mill chains....can you drive on bitumen without the chains making a hell of a noise....I have used the olden day chains which were all steel and the plastic covered steel chains you get at the Supermarket etc. and they all make a hell of a racket on the bitumen....must be made from BHP steel from No.4 Blast Furnace in Newcastle ( now defunct ) not imported from cheap Chinese steel because I have had chains that fall apart....and not from correct fitting them.

Here in town I approached the local chain people last year about the problem of the wheels and they had a fabric type snow chain....but I did not see it....and all the snow had nearly melted....ah well could of been similar to the video.

The best time to go skiing is on a bright sunny day with jeans and a t-shirt...not when it is blowing a blizzard....the trouble in Australia you do not have heavy snow like the North Pole....and the problem is you hit a patch of ice.....then no more for a couple of miles ( imperial measurement )...and the same old rigmorol stop-start...blah blah.

Thanks for the pickies....forgot about the brakes etc. could be a problem.