Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

So at the moment

Branch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim
i have 2 600w subs running off my 400w monoblock amp
and 4 6" pioneer speakers running off just the head unit

do you think it would make much difference if i got the speakers hooked up to the amp as well?

or, should i use another amp for the subs and then use the monoblock for the speakers, as i'm not really happy with the bass coming from the subs at the moment.

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Post up some specs or model numbers or even links to the gear you have, it will make our job easier when giving advice.

Generally, a "monoblock" amplifier is designed to run subwoofers only, and will only amplify sub-bass frequenices (20-200hz typically). This means if you hook your speakers up to it you'll only hear bass.

Branch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim

nicko

Carbon Positive - DO IT!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
75 cruiser ute
Branch i have those splits in my car and i just blew one of them, they only run off the deck and still **** itself. Reakon an amp would make them blow easier or not?

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
generally speaking feeding more power into them would only make them blow more easily, but a 50w rms isnt nothing, usually of a h/u your only getting something like 20ish rms watts.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Do you know what MODEL and IMPEDANCE your subs are?

Depending on their power rating you could probably add another monoblock amp to your system.

Branch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim
Branch i have those splits in my car and i just blew one of them, they only run off the deck and still **** itself. Reakon an amp would make them blow easier or not?

yeah but how much bass did you have going through them?

Branch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim
the model of the subs is PA12-S
they have 4ohms coils

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
I'd be more inclined not to run the speakers off the amp as they amp is not designed for full range. The amp only produces frequencies up to 20khz, whilst the speakers up to 31khz. But you should have the filter set up anyway for the sub, because you don't to be sending high frequencies to the sub, so really the speakers wouldn't be receiving more than around 120hz which are only bass notes.

p.s. Those subs are actually 300 watts RMS each.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Perfect. Add a second APX1300 so you will have 300wrms at 4OHM going into each sub. May have to cut a hole into the other side of the sub-box and put a new wiring terminal in, but is easy as.