Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

So I dropped a socket into the inlet manifold...

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
There was already a thread on this, but since I can't get to the shops to get an extendable magnetic tool/claw grabby tool tonight, I do have a question:

Is it possible that it has fallen into the cylinder? I've tried using a magnetised steel rod to get it out but it didn't have the reach and I'm concerned it's going to be even harder to get out than expected. I was sure I heard a sort of a 'plunk' noise as though it had fallen into pooled oil but that doesn't seem right.

I'll be heading to the shops to get the extendable tool first thing in the morning, I'm hoping to avoid removing the lower inlet manifold if I don't have to.

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
magnet on the end of a rubber hose . would be unlikely the socket made it past the valve , what size was the socket

jaywildone57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportswagon
Might be worth investing in an inspection camera as well. Good luck with it.

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
It was a 10mm socket attached to a 50mm 1/4 drive extension. The rubber hose is a good idea, unfortunately I don't think I have any but it's easy enough to get at Supercheap/Autobarn! I have a couple of good magnets I can use.

I'll see how I go with that and if I have any trouble I'll look into the camera. Thanks for the tips!

dirty hands

Reaction score
Members Ride
magna
how good is the vacuum cleaner suction ..
magnet and rubber hose worth a go

camera is a boroscope can run off a laptop or phone (ebay)

L.I.M gasket and strip down .. verses.. the 50 mm extension is worth 4.80 and socket ?

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
It's not too bad, definitely an option if I can get the right hose. And I don't mind fishing through the vacuum bag to retrieve the socket if I have to :)

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais V8 International
So was it just the socket that got dropped or did u loose the extension with it? Highly doubt it would have got into a cylinder. U will just need to hold ur tongue right and keep dragging the magnet around

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
So was it just the socket that got dropped or did u loose the extension with it? Highly doubt it would have got into a cylinder. U will just need to hold ur tongue right and keep dragging the magnet around

Hi
Last week l dropped a 10 mm socket & extension bar down the plenum. Second time l've done it. First time was 3 years ago. l was able to fish it out with a magnet. This time l was unable to snag it with the magnet. Of with the plenum, still unable to snag it. So of with the inlet manifold. The hole that l thought the socket & extension bar went down wasn't the one where l found the socket & extension bar (that's why l was unable to snag it).
Guess l didn't hold my tongue the right way this time. ha ha ha.
Lex

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
Haha, yeah I did the same thing, I thought it had gone down a different hole... But anyway, the $2.50 flexible magnetic tool from Supercheap did the trick once I actually worked out I was looking in the wrong spot.

WHCapriceHBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
01 VX
I had my throttle body unbolted off the front of my LS1. I was working in front of the car, on a work bench, shaving a piece of plastic with a scalpel, by hand.

I bent the scalpel slightly too much sideways, and the blade snapped. It flew across the shed (probably 4 feet) and straight inside the intake manifold of my LS1.

Being a thin, carbon steel scalpel blade, I freaked out. Could have easily bounced down into a cylinder past a valve. Got my extendable magnet and managed to fish it out of the manifold.

Always, always put a rag in uncovered intakes and ports. I usually do. But I was lazy and the unthinkable then happened.