Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

So I got an FX ??

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
X2 manifold has a water jacket. If you look in the pic there is an inlet pipe on the right side also.
Normally there is a hockey stick style pipe from the pcv, straight down the drivers side of the engine

That bugged me last night.
I had thoughts about the 179/149s of the time with closed PCV, (nah) and the breather tube which vented down to the atmosphere.
Also, optional power drum brakes hose fitted to the manifold ?? That would have been rare, but not impossible.
Handling and braking were not high on the Holden equipment list then. Interior comfort came with a Premier.

HKs came with optional versions of all three, depending on the depth of your pocket.
I test drove a HK with power drum brakes before I bought my HK. Dangerously horrible. The brakes were like a light switch, no progression .... on or off.
A little bit of pressure ........... nothing, then apply a bit more and one front wheel would lock depending on road surface, or if you were lucky both would lock at the same time giving you a pretence of having control.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Very jealous !!!!!!!!!
Would love a FE ute with at least similar mods!!!!!
And that's if I had a choice of early models !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
The inlet manifold looks like an aftermarket job made to suit a Holley 350. Cain was a common brand of these manifolds.
Then chuck on a Speco adaptor plate to suit the Webber carb.

Magnum61

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 Magnum
Had a couple of hours spare today. Motors out, engine bay scraped clean. Remembering the intention is to just get it on the road for now, but her it’s hard to hold the reins back!

I’ve found a brand new column shift and trimatic to fit.

just going to freshen up the 179/186, maybe invest in an alloy head.
19EB74F5-0709-4758-8E2D-E075C6FA0257.jpeg

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Had a couple of hours spare today. Motors out, engine bay scraped clean. Remembering the intention is to just get it on the road for now, but her it’s hard to hold the reins back!

I’ve found a brand new column shift and trimatic to fit.

just going to freshen up the 179/186, maybe invest in an alloy head.
View attachment 227651

If it is going to be a cruiser, I'd stick with the cast head....They're pretty robust and can have some port work done if you want a few more ponies for a little more poke....

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Alloy head is overkill just stick with basics for it to be decent cruiser.

Also good choice in going trimatic...was going to say that the powerglide would be one main thing to change to make it better cruiser.

Trimatics have selector on either side depending if early version or later...if going aftermarket cable shifter that won't matter unless using or adapting holden shifter & selector rod.

vywgn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1967 Holden HR Premier Wagon / 2015 VFII SV6 Sedan
Find a 161 high comp head for it

Magnum61

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 Magnum
4DC052F2-201D-48B6-A2C3-1ED1C6FAD120.jpeg
69568B26-1ECA-44EE-B385-6A12B0E872E5.jpeg
Just a few updated pics. Gee it’s hard to hold back. Lol.

the diff is a bit sloppy. Any economical suggestions or upgrades without changing stud patterns or width?