Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

So i heard a awful rumor about chev badges and the V8 supercars today

Do you car that Holdens Will be rebadged as " Chev" in texas?

• Yes this is absolute Bull###T

Votes: 25 33.8%
  • No i couldnt care less

Votes: 49 66.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Liberator

Reaction score
Members Ride
billy cart
The point of this thread was just to get people's opinions on the matter is all . Was not trying to start any **** fights , I do understand that we are the smaller company to the bigger that's obvious everyone knows that I'm not kidding myself . My own point is i just can't get over is that the Holden racing teams are thinking of doing this , at least for me this goes beyond a guy on the corner with his bowtied ss . Yes it's going to happen if it does it makes sense for the Americans yea all I'm getting at is do you care ? I sure as hell do . Anyways that's all I'm going to say was curious as to what other members thought ..

Straya!

Reaction score
Members Ride
1987 VL Brock Director
Putting a Chevy badge on one of our export v8's is stripping us of that identity and history.

If GM really wanted to strip us of that identity and history they would just rebrand holden as chev and be done with it, they won't because it's in australia and they won't brand things in america differently because that's over there, we have rebranded plenty of cars that have been shipped over by opel etc....why is this such a problem? car companies share so much now days it really is a non-issue now.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Afaik back in the 60s the only other place that got holdens was NZ, South Africa got em as Chevrolet

Well, your knowledge is letting you down. I have a book of the Holden history that shows pics of a Greek registered HD, Kenyan FC, Malayan FE's, FC's in Fiji, and a picture of the flags of all the nations where Holdens were exported. In total, there were 55 countries - it was actually the late 50's now that I have located the book. Unfortunately, the print is too small to successfully scan and post on the thread, but the countries extended far beyond just NZ and RSA.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I don't understand the point of this thread. GM own Holden and the holden product that is sold around the world is rebranded to GM's local brand. So nothing new here. The only reason the Holden brand exists here is because it has a certain heritage in Australian history. People relate to it so it exists.

In terms of rebadging for th states, same thing, chevy has heritage in the states so people relate to it and yh err fore are mre lkely to be interested in the event. No point in having a bunch of Holdens racing there if no one will care or relate.

Makes perfect sense. Put a chevy badge on it, more people will be interested and watch, therfore be more likely to buy the product and inherently this is good for Holden.

Jester

Valid points. So long as the American motoring media acknowledge and highlight the fact that the car is actually an Australian designed and build product (which they did with the G8 and GTO), then Holden is receiving the acknowledgement it deserves.

As for those members bemoaning the fact that Holdens are badged as Chevrolet for overseas markets other than the US, so what? They have been doing that since the exports kicked up with the VT_VZ models. The Chevrolet brand is recognised world-wide - Holden is not, unfortunately. Perhaps if they had retained the momentum with exports they achieved during the 50's and early 60's, as per my post immediately above, the Holden name would have more meaning in foreign markets.

Even in the UK, the VE is marketed as a Vauxhall VXR8 rather than a Holden SS or a Vauxhall SS. At least they called the Monaro by its Australian name, though Vauxhall Monaro sounds odd.

helmotbros

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute
As for those members bemoaning the fact that Holdens are badged as Chevrolet for overseas markets other than the US, so what? They have been doing that since the exports kicked up with the VT_VZ models. The Chevrolet brand is recognised world-wide - Holden is not, unfortunately. Perhaps if they had retained the momentum with exports they achieved during the 50's and early 60's, as per my post immediately above, the Holden name would have more meaning in foreign markets.

If that was directed at me, when i said our export v8's, i meant in the context that its an "exhibition" race, it is a part of our race calendar in which every other race they are badged as holdens.

I have no problems with our sales exported cars to be rebadged, i understand that its conforming to the market, but to rebadge the cars for one race? bit silly in my opinion. But thats my opinion and im entitled to it. As are you with yours.

vt6banger

Major Procrastinator
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 355
Well, your knowledge is letting you down. I have a book of the Holden history that shows pics of a Greek registered HD, Kenyan FC, Malayan FE's, FC's in Fiji, and a picture of the flags of all the nations where Holdens were exported. In total, there were 55 countries - it was actually the late 50's now that I have located the book. Unfortunately, the print is too small to successfully scan and post on the thread, but the countries extended far beyond just NZ and RSA.

I don't doubt they were sold everywhere else, just thought they were sold as other brands, not Holden ie Chevrolet

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
If that was directed at me, when i said our export v8's, i meant in the context that its an "exhibition" race, it is a part of our race calendar in which every other race they are badged as holdens.

I have no problems with our sales exported cars to be rebadged, i understand that its conforming to the market, but to rebadge the cars for one race? bit silly in my opinion. But thats my opinion and im entitled to it. As are you with yours.

No, my comment was directed more at those who think Holdens should remain marketed as Holdens on foreign markets, where the name "Holden" means nothing today whereas
Chevrolet" is a well known and respected brand name. So far as motor racing goes, I have absolutely no interest in the sport so I wasn't about to comment on that aspect. However, it does seem odd to me that the VF shape was supposed to be released to the American public via racing ahead of its Australian release, when all that was really "released" was a two door fibreglass body with adhesive fake headlights and other VF styling cues. So - a fibreglass shell with stick on lights won its first race for Chevrolet and Holden fans are rejoicing? Weird.:hmmm:

Liberator

Reaction score
Members Ride
billy cart

pretty much exactly what i was getting at !.
thank you