Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

So I'm abandoning the Commodore family...

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
It has finally come time to bid farewell to my VX wagon. I've spent the last couple of years debating about what to get to replace it, needing something with plenty of cargo room, diesel, manual, and 4x4. The wagon has been an interesting journey - extremely reliable, I learned basically everything I know mechanically from working on it, and even with 300,000 on the clock it still keeps chugging along, and with a little TLC still performs as good as ever and gets just as good fuel economy as a new one would have.

After deciding the X-trail was too small and the BT-50 too expensive (I only buy second-hand and they hold their value extremely well), I actually ended up settling on a 2012 Mitsubishi Challenger LS. It's no V8 diesel, but it'll serve the main purpose I have for a car and I still have the SV650S if I want to have some real fun!

I should be picking it up and trading in the wagon in the next couple of days... So I'm looking forward to it! I took the Challenger for a test drive and inspected it today and it's actually a very nice car - having been a passenger in the Triton before (which is what it's based on) I had a pretty good idea what to expect.

I fully accept the shame that comes with owning a Mitsubishi. Out of all my research it seemed to be the most appropriate and most capable vehicle I could get for my needs! Also, I didn't want to spend a fortune on a Patrol or something of that calibre.

But with all that said, now's my time to rant about Holden! It's such a shame that the new Commodore is no longer going to be what makes the Commodore exactly what it is - big, rear wheel drive, big powerful engine. I'm sure the Insignia is a nice enough car, but it's not a Commodore. Unfortunately I see this change as being the death-knell for the Holden brand, there will be nothing left of Holden legacy and they may as well just stick Daewoo, Opel and Chevrolet badges on everything.

With that all said, I'll probably keep lurking like I do... sticking my nose in other peoples' business, etc.

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
No shame in a Challenger
I bought a 2014 model model new almost 2 years ago and have done 60000ks in it
so far only problem I have had with It was a faulty trailer plug
Tows my boat and caravan better than the commodore ever did and goes better on the beach and in the bush than a commodore ever could
Economy on par with a commodore too
Shitload of cargo room too

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
Yeah, I honestly think I couldn't have found a better replacement for the wagon! Especially at the price. But your experience mirrors that of everything I've read of people who own the newer models - they're just great cars. It also gives me the option to go off-road just for the hell of it if I get bored :).

C B

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY II Storm Ute
But with all that said, now's my time to rant about Holden! It's such a shame that the new Commodore is no longer going to be what makes the Commodore exactly what it is - big, rear wheel drive, big powerful engine. I'm sure the Insignia is a nice enough car, but it's not a Commodore. Unfortunately I see this change as being the death-knell for the Holden brand, there will be nothing left of Holden legacy and they may as well just stick Daewoo, Opel and Chevrolet badges on everything.
Couldn't have said it better myself mate, they should have left the Commodore badges off and called it something else....

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Yeah, I honestly think I couldn't have found a better replacement for the wagon! Especially at the price. But your experience mirrors that of everything I've read of people who own the newer models - they're just great cars. It also gives me the option to go off-road just for the hell of it if I get bored :).

I suspect that you will not be alone departing the Holden brand once local production ceases. While they advertise 24 new models coming over the next 2 years, all I can imagine is a company flogging cars from half a dozen different countries with no major signature model to identify with.

Talk about bastardising the brand name.......

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
That's pretty much how I've pictured it. On the optimistic side, with that many models we might actually get lucky and end up with one or two decent cars... Hopefully there won't be any more Epicas and Vivas!

What I was thinking about yesterday that I'd really like to see is a new Torana or something of that nature marketed to directly compete against the BRZ/86. I have a feeling that the market is ready for it - RWD might just come back into fashion if there are enough smaller, cheaper, "fun" models of cars running it.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
It won't be long before we start getting American Chevrolets imported and sold either as re-badged Holdens or as Chevrolets. CTS-V wagon for me thanks!

The cessation of Australian manufacturing is a GOOD thing for consumers. It means all the stupid protections can be abolished.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
The cessation of Australian manufacturing is a GOOD thing for consumers. It means all the stupid protections can be abolished.

All to be cancelled out by "Australia tax" like it pretty much already has been, tariffs are already very low.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
All to be cancelled out by "Australia tax" like it pretty much already has been, tariffs are already very low.

Wrong. Cars like the Chevrolet Camaro that currently sell for more than $100,000 in Australia would sell (if it came down under) for similar prices to the Mustang - its direct competitor. While more expensive than in America, it will be SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than it is currently.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Wrong. Cars like the Chevrolet Camaro that currently sell for more than $100,000 in Australia would sell (if it came down under) for similar prices to the Mustang - its direct competitor. While more expensive than in America, it will be SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than it is currently.

Only if GM bring that model to our region like Ford have, otherwise it would remain as is. Niche and imported.