Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

So I'm abandoning the Commodore family...

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Only if GM bring that model to our region like Ford have, otherwise it would remain as is. Niche and imported.

No ****. You must have missed where I said "if it came down under". Stop trying to friggin argue with everything just for the sake of arguing. It gets tiring.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
No ****. You must have missed where I said "if it came down under". Stop trying to friggin argue with everything just for the sake of arguing. It gets tiring.

then don't post unsubstantiated/incorrect crap.

fact is car manufacturers can, will and do charge what the market will bear like every other international company.

crew_man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6 Reserve Edition Sportwagon
Wrong. Cars like the Chevrolet Camaro that currently sell for more than $100,000 in Australia would sell (if it came down under) for similar prices to the Mustang - its direct competitor. While more expensive than in America, it will be SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than it is currently.

Thats under the assumption that GM wanted to compete directly with the Mustang. Chances are that if it was brought in, it would be a much higher spec than the mustang, allowing them to put it in a different category and charge much more for it.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Thats under the assumption that GM wanted to compete directly with the Mustang. Chances are that if it was brought in, it would be a much higher spec than the mustang, allowing them to put it in a different category and charge much more for it.

Um, if you look at the highest spec Camaro, it's no better equipped that an SSV Commodore.

Sure it's all speculation but if GM wants to compete down under with the likes of Ford and Chysler, it needs American models... That's a no brainer. It will happen eventually and only time will tell which models we get.

It's certainly not "unsubstantiated/incorrect" as some lesser intelligent people might think.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Cat amongst the pigeons.

How come so many seem to think that the cessation of local production is a good thing because it means we can get Mustangs and Camaros? Who friggin' cares about those two cars - they will be sold in small numbers at best because they appeal to a very minor part of the overall market.

And why is termination of well designed cars like the Commodore, which is so well suited to our market and available at reasonable cost in very high performance specs, and its possible replacement by American sports coupes, a good thing? From the few road tests I've read, neither car does a better job than an HSV or even a Redline, so what's the big deal? They accelerate faster or handle a bit better? So what? The NSW Police aren't too impressed with the Mustang's durability after it failed recent HWP operational testing under the same conditions that local high-po cars have been passing for years.

Sometimes I wonder about the mentality of some members of this forum.

crew_man

Reaction score
Members Ride
Um, if you look at the highest spec Camaro, it's no better equipped that an SSV Commodore.

Incorrect, the SS Camaro is more akin to an HSV, as it has:
- More powerful V8 and 8-speed tranny (auto)
- MRC
- Torque Vectoring

It also starts at $41,300usd with a manual transmission ($54,000+ aud), so when you add the additional costs associated with RHD models, plus all other costs associated with cars in Australia you're easily looking at $70,000+ aud. That price also doesnt include any of the squillions of accessories that Chevrolet offer for the Camaro, which would likely be standard inclusions here.

You are assuming that GMH wants to compete directly with other American makes in this market, which from my experience with the company is incorrect. We will see a lot of Euro products before we see American products as that's what GMH see's as it's future direction in the Aussie market.

Yes, Stephan has said that Australia will get a V8 RWD vehicle, but at no point did he say that it would attempt to fill the void of the Commodore or be a volume model - it had much more to do with confirming to Aussies that GMH was here to stay, which at the time was a big issue for the company.

They could just bring a Cadillac or Corvette model over here in very low numbers and they would be keeping with their word.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
$70,000? LOL!!! Based on what? If the production line is tooled to build RHD models then they don't need conversion! Look at the prices of the Mustang for a better representation of the prices we could expect to pay for (insert any model here) when compared directly with the American model.

And yup - so what? The Cadillac models would be awesome also. I simply (yes, SIMPLY, as there's a lot of simple minds around these days) used the Camaro as an example... I for one would love a Caddy, as I also mentioned above.

crew_man

Reaction score
Members Ride
$70,000? LOL!!! Based on what? If the production line is tooled to build RHD models then they don't need conversion!

Based on the fact that it costs more to build a low volume RHD vehicle in a high-volume LHD factory. Even though the plant might be tooled up to produce it, their suppliers need to start producing additional parts in low volume for the RHD vehicles, as well as setting up the production line to actually assemble the RHD vehicle. Then you need to factor in costs associated with NOT building a high volume/margin LHD vehicle. Once you've done that you have a vehicle that costs more than it's LHD counterpart even though they're the same specification.

Next, add all of the goodies that GMH want for the local market (wheels, upgraded trim, navigation, performance bits etc.)

That's all before logistics, taxes etc. as well as remembering that at that price point, there is very little competition in the segment. Why compete head-to-head with Ford on a low margin vehicle when they can turn it into a high-margin vehicle and have no competition?

The reason that Ford is able to produce the Mustang for RHD markets at a good price is that they are light years ahead of GMH with their 'One Ford' policy, allowing them to mass produce vehicles for global consumption at a better price, where as GM has localised plants producing localised products (which they are slowly moving away from)

How do I know this? I worked in procurement at GMH and know exactly what the costs associated are as GMH was in the exact same position when producing it's cars for LHD markets.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
How do I know this? I worked in procurement at GMH and know exactly what the costs associated are as GMH was in the exact same position when producing it's cars for LHD markets.

Except for the fact GMH manufacturing went broke and is shutting up shop next year. So not a reliable business model to base anything off really.