Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

So I'm abandoning the Commodore family...

crew_man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6 Reserve Edition Sportwagon
Except for the fact GMH manufacturing went broke and is shutting up shop next year. So not a reliable business model to base anything off really.

It's basic principles of business and manufacturing which applies to all Automotive manufacturers. GM being a global company it also meant that I worked closely with Chevrolet on the Cruze which was in the same situation as Commodore. Its simple economies of scale and trying to build two vehicles (one high volume and one low volume) on a single production line.

Given that contracts and pricing are locked in years in advance (many from pre-VE, so 10-years before manufacturing closes) your rebuttal means nothing.

Hopefully you've learned something from this.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
For those who are lusting after a Cadillac, there are RHD Aus complied examples advertised Carsales.
For those who are lusting after a Mustang, all I can say about the new model is that it has comfortable front seats, ignore the connectivity and electro-whizbangs, then compare it to a 10 year old Monaro for fit, finish, comfort and user friendlyness.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
I like the look of Mustangs and Camaros but would not buy one.
I can`t see my self in a 2 door.
Our 2 doors are great just not for me.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I holidayed in Hawaii last November and the new Mustangs were very common.
They left me absolutely cold. Retro is fine but the original 1969/70 'stangs were far more attractive IMO.

What also struck me was how common the Malibu was. Must say something about American drivers' tastes.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Haven`t seen the new Mustangs.

Just had a look have to agree original 1969/70 'stangs were far more attractive

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Of all the new Yankee muscle cars, I'd take a Charger for me and an SRT8 for the wife. Yup - it'd be a "Walter White" garage.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
And why is termination of well designed cars like the Commodore, which is so well suited to our market and available at reasonable cost in very high performance specs, and its possible replacement by American sports coupes, a good thing?

If Commodore was "so well suited to our market" it would be outselling SUVs and Mazda 3s, which it isn't unfortunately. Did you mean suited to our 'conditions' maybe? Other than that I agree with everything you said about US cars missing the mark in quality/dynamics - the yanks have been playing catch up for decades. I wouldnt buy an American car - I value quality interiors, instruments and switchgear as highly as exterior styling.

On another note, I love how hard Hyundai is spruiking the Genesis as a true BMW/Mercedes/Audi competitor, when every road test I've read the WN Caprice (still the same basic 10-year-old WM vehicle) is the much better car and struggles to compete sales-wise. The Genesis isn't even offered with a V8 in Australia. Good luck with that.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
If Commodore was "so well suited to our market" it would be outselling SUVs and Mazda 3s, which it isn't unfortunately. Did you mean suited to our 'conditions' maybe? Other than that I agree with everything you said about US cars missing the mark in quality/dynamics - the yanks have been playing catch up for decades. I wouldnt buy an American car - I value quality interiors, instruments and switchgear as highly as exterior styling.

On another note, I love how hard Hyundai is spruiking the Genesis as a true BMW/Mercedes/Audi competitor, when every road test I've read the WN Caprice (still the same basic 10-year-old WM vehicle) is the much better car and struggles to compete sales-wise. The Genesis isn't even offered with a V8 in Australia. Good luck with that.

Yes, that was precisely what I meant. Road tests of "exotic" Euro cars for years have pointed out that our local cars, (Holdens, Fords, Toyotas and way back, Mitsi's) were better engineered for our climate and road conditions. For example, air conditioning was often far better, with stronger output in the hottest conditions. Radio reception was superior in remote locations because locals didn't bury the aerials in the glass like the "clever" Euros and Asian designs. Headlights on local cars have been far superior to imported cars for many years. Euro and Asian cars in particular are often very poor by comparison, even in new cars now. (My VY Berlina's standard lights were brilliant and needed no upgrading. The two Korean cars I've owned since, one brand new, have been very poor by comparison. It's only when imported cars have HED lights that they tend to outperform the locals on high beam.) Interior materials have withstood our severe summer heat better than many comparably priced imports and the basic body structures have been designed to withstand the follies we call highways for years of service. In so many cases, it has been obvious that the imports were never designed with a large, hot and empty country like Australia in mind, but were designed for countries where major cities were only a few kilometres apart, maximum temperatures seldom exceeded 30 degrees and roads were better built and better illuminated.

You're right about Commodores et al being far better suited to the market if they were still the cars of choice for Australian motorists. It's just a damned shame that Holden and Ford have built the best cars of their type after so many years and the market has turned away so strongly from large sedans.

I seriously doubt that the imported replacements will prove to be as well suited to our conditions unless there is substantial local engineering and design input.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Best aircon I've ever experienced in a car was September last year when I drove a 1994 Volkswagen Golf MkIII hatch from Toowoomba to Melbourne. A 21 year old car with 230,000+ km on the clock had the iciest aircon of anything I've been in, except for maybe the fridge at Dan Murphy's on a hot summer day when I'm topping up our drinks fridge.

As for headlights, I think you must be blind! As someone that has owned two VTs, a VX, three VEs and two VE IIs, I can safely say factory headlights are ****! One of the first things I always did was upgrade to some decent Phillips globes. Then they were fine, especially the projectors. But they ALL pale into insignificance on low and high beam when it comes to HID (not HED) lights. Factory spec Euro and even American HID lights out-shine even the best halogen and HID after market driving lights - a bloke from ARB told me when I was ording a bullbar and driving light combo to not bother with anything other than LED once he knew the HIDs I had.

Granted, all the issues you've mentioned about Euro and Asian imports not being up to scratch for the Australian climate and conditions were absolutely true in the 80s, 90s and even into the 2000's. But over the past 5 years, anything from Europe or Asia is FAR superior to anything made in Australia. Kia is the best example that comes to mind. Brilliant cars - and to come such a long way in a short period of time too. 7 year, unlimited km warranty ffs! Guess who was at the top of most warranty issues (and serious warranty issues at that) recently, yup - HOLDEN!

Don't get me wrong. Holdens have been good for decades. But the fact is their product just can't cut it in the industry today. The industry standard moved too fast and the Australian manufacturers simply didn't keep up.

I seriously doubt that the imported replacements will prove to be as well suited to our conditions unless there is substantial local engineering and design input.

Good statement, and I agree. But you need to not think of it in terms of "replacements" and start to think of it in terms of "alternatives". I seriously doubt that imported alternatives will have any issues with out conditions. There is significant investment in testing and development in Australia from a lot of foreign manufacturers these days.