Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

So Im An Apprentice Now... Money Is Short... How Do You Compensate For It?

social

Ute Finatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Thunder
Hey guys,
Recently got my mechanical apprenticeship through MTA, FINALLY!:thumbsup:
The thing is, i was used to doing labour / construction work and walking away with $500+ / wk and now I will be sitting on $220ish/wk. Now i pay for all my car fees fueling it regoing insuring etc, and ofcourse pay board, that doesnt leave me with jack all. Ive been working after hours doing some landscaping / retinaing wall work by myself but thats in short supply seeing as i finished my last job at 10:30pm friday night.

To the reason i posted....
Was wondering what other apprentices out there do / where you work to make up for that little bit extra to get you by each week.
Cheers.

Abrowne70

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive S2, VL 5sp Berlina Wagon
I dont, i just live with the fact we get crappy pay.

Will soon be looking for more work as i need it for my project, you just gotta plan your money spending well

CANYONERO

Likes Cheese...
Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 6spd wif MOMO leavaa.
one word OVERTIME!

luckily the 38hrs i get paid apprentice rates though the apprenticeship provider (MTA) overtime is paid by my host so the rate jumps quite a bit, luckily my boss has seen that im working just as hard as everyone else yet gettin paid peanuts, im on my hosts bonus system which helps too.

when you get more experienced you'll no doubt get cashie jobs too :)

social

Ute Finatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Thunder
ohk fair enuf, yea im aware of the overtime etc, just ive got the 10wks of tradeskl first up so thats a bummer and i have been working after hours, ridiculously, just wanted to see if anyone else was kinda struggling or had a solution.

davway

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Statesman
go to garage sales on the weekend, buy a few odds and ends that people want and then Ebay it.
i did it for a while when i had no money and was earning an average of $500 a week.

youll soon learn what is worth money and what isnt.
pretty much anything you had as a kid that was popular at the time, is worth money now.

Cursed CX8

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Adventra
best way - hospitality.

no joke, 3 nights a week will get u an extra $200 and its easy work

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore HSV(without all the gay ****)
if youve been out of school for 18months(i think) or earned 19000 you can claim independance if you haent already you can get rent assist and other benefits from the gov get a healthcare card save you 100 on rego

nathg

Reaction score
Members Ride
MX83
WOW, I thought my $267 base rate through AGT was bad, but $220, thats pretty low. I would find it very hard to survive on $270ish a week if I didn't get any overtime or work every second Saturday.
In terms of trying to save and spend wisely, for my first couple of weeks working, I didn't go out at all, just saved and saved. Now that I'm used to the pay, i can budget for petrol and other expenses, and even still save around $100-$150 a week.

betts

Reaction score
Members Ride
b
Ive cut back on drinking and other expenses, I drink and go out once a month, and I also make my own lunch every day. I manage to save around $60 a week from a $280 pay check. I also work 7 days a week quite often, it sucks, but when you are a first year apprentice you need all the money you can get.

jatsvl

NEEDS MORE POWER!
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl exec wagon
best way - hospitality.

no joke, 3 nights a week will get u an extra $200 and its easy work

YEAH! ........, thats what I was gonna say prostitution!:rofl::rofl:

the ebay idea is good. "one mans trash is anothers treasure", I don't do the ebay thing I sell in the free weekend shopper earning $300 - $500 depending what treasure I sell.