Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

So i'm building another box

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Hey guy's, after reading a few reviews on how well the type R's perform in a ported enclosure, i've decided to have a go, this being my second attempt, first was for a 15 inch SoundStream.

Now any help with be great, as i'm terrible with math, and i've even looked at a few box building programs on the internet, and it was like trying to find my way through a maze. Oh, and i even called Alpine, which only requested my post code, and then i put me through to my local retail store, who weren't really able to help.

Now from all the info i've gathered (and please tell me if i'm incorect, because i'm only going on what i've read.) Reccomended internal dimesnions for ported are between 0.75-2.0cu ft. With a 4'' x13'' port. Now how do i choose the dimesnions, seeing as there is a big difference between 0.75 and 2.0cu ft? Will the largest box typically be the loudest? or does the size of the box affect it's tuning? I've read that 32-34hz is a good tune for them, does that sound right to anyone. Also, once all this is done, does the sub have to be tuned at all from either the head unit, or the amp? Thanks to anyone who can help me here:thumbsup:

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
lol I knew it wouldn't take you long to go ported again! As for building ported boxes I'm no help :(

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
yeah i know, i've come to the conclusion that sealed enclosures suck!! Oh and i bought another Type R, so if can nail the dimensions on a box for one, then i'll just build a second..

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Not all sealed boxes suck, My L7s go good in sealed. :D

What size sub is it? And is it the current model?

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Never mind, I found the data your looking for. Bear in mind that these are the 'Optimal' box specs not necessarily the biggest and loudest. Based on 3/4" (19mm) MDF

Attachments

• typr r.jpg
    typr r.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 403
Last edited:

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
my last box i constructed using 18mm MDF. Is there any benifit in going any thicker?, and does it alter the sound at all? oh and mine are 1242D. If i'm reading that right, they reccomend a 1.3 cu ft Slot port enclosure?

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
18mm is pretty thick, i don't think any thicker would alter the sound at all. Are you after loudest or 'optimal'?

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
No, the 1242 is 1.7 cubic feet.

Attachments

• typr r2.jpg
    typr r2.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 300

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Optimul, with a hint of loudest......:D So is net volume the volume once the sub is installed?I thought 18mm was on the lighter side, i've seen a few pre-fab's from SoundStream, and they're made from 24mm...Also, does anyone know somwhere i can buy a port from?The only ones i've seen are from american sites. Last time i used PVC piping cut to length, but it was a major pain in the arse to mount them with a flange, i'd like one that just screw in and mounts flush to the box.

Last edited: