Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

So I'm kind of unemployed...

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
And rather than sitting around and moping about it, I'm being proactive.

Since job-seeking is tedious, somewhat disappointing, and unfruitful, I've decided to start offering drum lessons again.

I'm based on the northern part of the NSW Central Coast, and teach from home. So, if you or anyone you know is interested in lessons, please drop me a PM as eventually if I don't get a new job I will run out of money and that could be a problem :p. Since I'm not restricted to a daytime work schedule I can teach during pretty much any hour of the day (except for Monday - Thursday evenings which kind of makes things awkward for most people looking for lessons), and it's on an electronic kit so noise isn't an issue. The old dude next door even said (when I used to play my acoustic kit at home) that I could play at 11pm and he wouldn't care.

Oh, it's not strictly true that I'm unemployed as I'm a retained fire fighter, but roughly $9-10k gross per year is not enough to live on unfortunately. It's not even enough to cover the rent!

Dear admins: Please don't smite me for unsolicited advertising of a product or service, here is a smiley face :).

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
un·fruit·ful
Adjective
1. Not producing good or helpful results; unproductive: "the meeting was unfruitful".
2. Not producing fruit or crops; unfertile.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Job hunting can be demoralising, my father has been unemployed for almost a year now, has worked all his life, highly experienced and trade qualified but no one wants to employ some old guy.....

Most don't even bother replying to his emails etc

VX Exec

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S1
I know the pain, i've had more than four years worth of experience in warehousing & transport, and up until a month ago i was out of work for 6 months. Currently a casual storeman/factory hand in a meat processing place, its not much but its keeping the bills at bay.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Job hunting can be demoralising, my father has been unemployed for almost a year now, has worked all his life, highly experienced and trade qualified but no one wants to employ some old guy.....

Most don't even bother replying to his emails etc

Know the feeling.............

Was made redundant 31st of August last year, after 35 years as a Licenced Aircraft Engineer.

No one wants to employ a deaf, grey haired old guy.

Still living on my redundancy pay out, so not under any real financial pressure.......... Yet!

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
ive been selling nudes of my self to clairbear

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
imoengnr, where did you work? my brother got made redundant a few months ago from forstaff at avalon airport.

lucky he got offered a job at boeing a week later.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Know the feeling.............

Was made redundant 31st of August last year, after 35 years as a Licenced Aircraft Engineer.

No one wants to employ a deaf, grey haired old guy.

Still living on my redundancy pay out, so not under any real financial pressure.......... Yet!

Yeah, it sucks, my old man has headed home after been here in NZ working/paying taxes since 1986. He gets nothing for all those years, the government has turned their nose up at him. Back home he already has a job lined up, will get assistance from the government to help him set up with housing until he is on his feet, once he retires there, he gets a better pension than he would here as well.

NZ is going to the dogs, I personally would already have left if wasn't for the missus, been trying to get her to leave for years.

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
I definitely feel for anyone forced into this position, especially older people as it's hard enough to get into the workforce as it is. Especially if you're trying to have a change of career!

I'm hoping I'll be able to at least get something casual or part time... I have enough money in savings to keep me out of trouble with rego and insurance (the main expenses) and in that time I'll do some study as well to get other qualifications in a field I'm more interested in. I really don't want to get back into IT as long as I can avoid doing so :).

Landing a traineeship near home would be ideal. I've considered apprenticeships but they simply don't pay enough, even with my fire brigade income I'd have to dig into savings to make it through the first year. I guess it's better than nothing though, but I'm not sure that too many places would want to hire a 28 year old over an 18 year old anyway.