Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

So my cooling system blew

djdomohudson

Mad frogs
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega Sedan / VE International Sportwagon
I noticed that every once in a while my car would complain it was Hot and then cool off again. But on Saturday just gone, as I was pulling into a parking space something went *poof!* and there was steam coming out from underneath the bonnet and a big big big puddle of green liquid all over the place. And I was like bugger.

Here's a picture of the mess... (taken a little while after it happened)

IMAG0031_zpsc0167093.jpg

So the father-in-law came down with some bottles of water and we noticed that whatever we put in leaked out onto the pavement again. So lucky it wasn't far from home, it limped back without suffering further.

On further poking around and investigation I saw this.

IMAG0045_zps3fa19dd0.jpg

And here's a close up.

IMAG0045_1_zps02378506.jpg

So that little four-way junction thing has, well, exploded and that's where all the fluid leaked out and all the rest of it. I showed the picture to a mechanic who reckons he can fix it for $160... I wasn't chuffed. He said, or well, $145...
Still not happy. I've set myself to taking off the remaining bits of pipes. It's a bit harder to do than I first reckoned but it's coming along.

Does anyone know where sourcing a replacement four-way junction piece could be best? Or will digging one out of the wreckers do just as well?

Also, wondering how the gold piece on the right comes off properly, I've removed the two screws you can see there and it's still holding on by that skinny rod.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Thats actually the heater tap, a brand new one costs around $20 delivered to your door, and it takes all of 10 minutes to fit. Its very common for these to fail like yours has once theyve been there for a few years, they just go brittle and snap..
The "so called" mechanic that quoted you $160 or whatever to replace and fit it, is trying to rip you off, stay well away from him. Check out the link below for prices...

commodore heater tap | eBay

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Thats actually the heater tap, a brand new one costs around $20 delivered and it takes all of 10 minutes to fit them. Its very common for these to fail like yours has once theyve been there for a few years, they go brittle. The "so called" mechanic that told you $140 or whatever is trying to rip you off. Check out the link below.

commodore heater tap | eBay

I disagree, pending the mechanics intentions, maybe if he was going to replace it and send you off waterless. I agree it could be cheaper, but a $20 tap, $20 of coolant and an hour to fit, flush, fill and bleed properly $140-$160 isn't unreasonable.

Straya!

Reaction score
Members Ride
1987 VL Brock Director
Corect, heater taps are a common fault, most RACV blokes carry one on them at all times because of how often they have to replace them.

djdomohudson

Mad frogs
Reaction score
Members Ride
I reckoned as much! And that's good to know now that it's the heater tap. I'll order that straight away. Thanks for that! I'll carry on digging the other one out :)

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I disagree, pending the mechanics intentions, maybe if he was going to replace it and send you off waterless. I agree it could be cheaper, but a $20 tap, $20 of coolant and an hour to fit, flush, fill and bleed properly $140-$160 isn't unreasonable.

I wouldnt pay it. $50 for the new tap and 5 litres of coolant, 10 minutes to fit the tap, around 10 minutes or so to fill and bleed the cooling system if you know what youre doing, which any half decent mechanic definitely should.

franklinfrog

Reaction score
Website
www.cheapbrisbanebikes.com
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon 5.7 Auto Wikid Postie Bike

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I wouldnt pay it. $50 for the new tap and 5 litres of coolant, 10 minutes to fit the tap, around 10 minutes or so to fill and bleed the cooling system if you know what youre doing, which any half decent mechanic definitely should.

Hell, neither would I, but it's my own car I know it inside out and I'm qualified, not quite the same as a random bringing in an unknown. What are the hoses like? Does it need a proper flush? Don't rush, do it once, do it right and don't have the client come back unless it's for an unrelated issue, that's the mechanic I like. I'd charge $100 and I'd use Tectaloy AF/AB not coolant, cos it's about to hit minus degrees round these parts.

djdomohudson

Mad frogs
Reaction score
Members Ride
Got it out without much hassle.

IMAG0047_zps6ad0469c.jpg

Bought a new one from Supercheap Auto for $28, which is what it would have cost me to buy a $20 one and pay postage.

IMAG0048_zps6fec7155.jpg

You have to unscrew the two screws, and rotate the valve around to the same position as the previous one and rescrew them back in.
Refitting the hoses was a pain in the ass though. Simple in theory but bending my arms around the brake fluid manifold, its metal pipes and so forth, trying to manoeuvre my pliers around to squeeze the clamps in order to put them in position properly... So it took me more like an hour and a half to get it all sorted properly but I'm happy with that. Then flush the system, bleed it and all. I found that my bleed valve had eroded somehow so I had to run around and grab a replacement thermostat housing for $5 and refit. Bled again, took it for a drive, checked and bled it again to be sure, topped up some more water and that's my car as good as ever.

On to the next job...