Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

So the VF is this what the front and back look like ?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Reap

I know that Holden is working hard to upgrade the interior and technology behind the VF. I just reckon that they have missed the boat with the styling and that's what brings punters into the dealers in the first place. If the car doesn't look substantially different to its predecessor, buyers won't pay it enough attention and will look elsewhere. Competion has never been more fierce in the Australian market and the more adventurous designs from Korea (particularly Hyundai) and Mazda, which are selling in increasing numbers every year, show that Australians are prepared to purchase cars that are more adventurous in design. Holden styling seems to be stuck in that time warp where Aussies never dared to buy anything that looked even a little bit different or radical.

With regard to marketing the car in the States, I believe that the level of success it achieves will be tempered by the fact that it was marketed over there before (successfully, I admit) as a performance sports sedan, five years ago. The basic shell and underpinnings haven't changed and now they plan to market it as a premium performance Chev sports sedan. It won't be cheap (marketing strategies and our strong dollar will ensure that), so the numbers will be lower than was planned for the G8. Will Americans buy a car that is basically seven years old by the time it's released there? Its styling will be compared to other GM products (such as the new Impala) and it won't look very modern. Personally, (and I'd like to be wrong) I doubt it will be the success that Holden expects, because it's too bloody old.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Reap

I know that Holden is working hard to upgrade the interior and technology behind the VF. I just reckon that they have missed the boat with the styling and that's what brings punters into the dealers in the first place. If the car doesn't look substantially different to its predecessor, buyers won't pay it enough attention and will look elsewhere. Competion has never been more fierce in the Australian market and the more adventurous designs from Korea (particularly Hyundai) and Mazda, which are selling in increasing numbers every year, show that Australians are prepared to purchase cars that are more adventurous in design. Holden styling seems to be stuck in that time warp where Aussies never dared to buy anything that looked even a little bit different or radical.

Wait till you see the final car - early Feb is the reveal from what I have heard. There will be no mistaking the VF for a VE. Holden aren't making the same mistake ford made with the BF/FG evolution.

With regard to marketing the car in the States, I believe that the level of success it achieves will be tempered by the fact that it was marketed over there before (successfully, I admit) as a performance sports sedan, five years ago. The basic shell and underpinnings haven't changed and now they plan to market it as a premium performance Chev sports sedan. It won't be cheap (marketing strategies and our strong dollar will ensure that), so the numbers will be lower than was planned for the G8. Will Americans buy a car that is basically seven years old by the time it's released there? Its styling will be compared to other GM products (such as the new Impala) and it won't look very modern. Personally, (and I'd like to be wrong) I doubt it will be the success that Holden expects, because it's too bloody old.

It won't be 7 years old though. Engine will be different. Sheetmetal will be different. Interior will be totally different. It will be a higher cost niche vehicle but that will be a relatively short term thing. If the SS finds a market, along with the PPV which is gradually growing momentum GM will move production to NA with the next "all new" model and the high AUS$ problem will disappear. My personal opinion is it's not as bigger issue as people think. Near all imported content of the cars is bought in US$. That is near most of the car when you are looking at the V8 versions. That leaves a bit of local content and production labour being sold in AUS$. I don't know the labour content of a car but as a guess it'd be $3 - $4k??? Still a substantial cost but not huge when you are looking at a $25k (wholesale within GM) car.

Also, although it may be totally unrelated, GM have recently (last few months) trademarked "El Camino" and "Nomad" models for the NA market. The Commodore Ute and Sportswagons would slot right into those nameplates if they are intending them to be resurrected.

Reaper

Last edited:

PaulRM

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Renault Scenic....don't ask....
Reaper,

Are you of the opinion that the current 6.0L in the SS/SSV will be changed in the next 12 months? Or has Holden actually confirmed it?

What do you reckon that the change in output/economy will amount to?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Reaper,

Are you of the opinion that the current 6.0L in the SS/SSV will be changed in the next 12 months? Or has Holden actually confirmed it?

What do you reckon that the change in output/economy will amount to?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Holden haven't confirmed anything at this stage. As for the V8 engines it's pure speculation. There is no doubt the GenV will be in the line up at some stage but weather it is ready (or GM will let them) have it at release is currently a closely guarded secret. Because the Corvette traditionally gets new tech first, my guess is they will carry over the existing motor for the near future and possibly release a supercharged 6.2 litre (LSA) V8 in the high end HSV's. It has been confirmed (although not by HSV/Holden) that HSV have had several LSA's running around in mules for quite a while now.

When the Gen 5 does hit the market expect a moderate power upgrade (15-20 kw??) and significant gains in fuel economy due to direct injection. As for the LSA, GM get some crazy numbers out of them in the Corvette but I highly doubt HSV would do the same. Makes for exciting times for the aftermarket tuner guys though :dance:

Reaper

PaulRM

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Renault Scenic....don't ask....
Holden haven't confirmed anything at this stage. As for the V8 engines it's pure speculation. There is no doubt the GenV will be in the line up at some stage but weather it is ready (or GM will let them) have it at release is currently a closely guarded secret. Because the Corvette traditionally gets new tech first, my guess is they will carry over the existing motor for the near future and possibly release a supercharged 6.2 litre (LSA) V8 in the high end HSV's. It has been confirmed (although not by HSV/Holden) that HSV have had several LSA's running around in mules for quite a while now.

When the Gen 5 does hit the market expect a moderate power upgrade (15-20 kw??) and significant gains in fuel economy due to direct injection. As for the LSA, GM get some crazy numbers out of them in the Corvette but I highly doubt HSV would do the same. Makes for exciting times for the aftermarket tuner guys though :dance:

Reaper

Thanks for the info mate.

Regards,
Paul

(and a Merry Christmas to you all!)

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Those pics look very average, somewhere between a Cruze and a passat and neither of those look good!
Headlight in the first pic looks like its from a Falcon

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok - so I'm tipping the reveal will be first few days of Feb at the latest. Not quite directly related to the VF but I loled anyway...

Last edited by a moderator:

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
This is supposedly a spy shot of the VF Interior (Stateside PPV Caprice test mule, taken in the USA)

image.php

Note the column shift, which frees up centre console space for police equipment, doughnuts, and gigantic slurpies.
(It is unknown if the column shift will be an option for Australian spec Commodores,
however the mere existence option must be making taxi fleet owners and taxi drivers moist in their pants).

This image was taken form John Mellors GoAuto News
http://www.goautomedia.com/

Liberator

Reaction score
Members Ride
billy cart
i guess i may just have to wait a little bit longer, if the engine remains the same ill take the VE, i like the styling, especially the s2, and theres the surety that the niggles and interior electronics are all but sorted (minus the random issues people are having with IQ) damn you holden and lack of information release!!!

Hey sorry I missed this untill now , I'm actually at work and don't have time to go threw the whole topic so sorry if this has been answered already , but there are rumores that the vf will be using the new lt1 gen4 sbc or maybe even the gen 5 going in the new c7 again this is romour but I would hold out as that is what I'm doing and i think it will be well worth it , if it looks **** and doesn't come with a better engine then do what I'm doing get a ve clubby XD hope this helped =D

Last edited: