Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SO WHICH COLOUR IS IT?? ARE THEy BOTH THE SAME WITH NAME CHANGE OR COMPLETELY DIFF?

VTLS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 LS1 -VX S2 SS LS1
Hey all. Have a slight problem with holdens color chart. I have a VX S2 SS with paint code F143. According to holden the colour code is red hot & sting red. OK,so i have a paint code with two possible colours but are they the same color with different names or 2 completely different colours. Both colours are classed as solids. They only other thing i can think of is that a standard holden has the colour classed as red hot & the SS has the colour classed as sting red with slight differences in depth/brightness of colour. Any help would be appreciated as i dont want to paint the damn thing more than i have to. cheers

wildss

Reaction score
Members Ride
vnss
most colors have secondary names but in your case theres 2 shades of f143.
one is a cleaner red...
both solid colors but can be done in direct gloss of clear over base
id go clear over base to avoid oxidistion (chalkiness) later down the track
hth

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
My vr is sting red and my 2004 vz is original red too and they dont look exactly the same side by side....the vr is a repaint of course and now about 3 years old but I reckon it is a lighter colour over the vz even though I quoted F143 as the colour when I was buying the paint for the vr......that chalky look has come back to haunt me on areas like the boot that see direct sun...that clear over is a good idea.

NSTG8R

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Maloo R8 + VX Berlina 5.7
pretty sure sting red was hsv's version....came out in the VT series. Redhot came out at VX introduction and was then used on the Monaro

brrock

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl group a brock
pretty sure sting red was hsv's version....came out in the VT series. Redhot came out at VX introduction and was then used on the Monaro

I think your right sting was earlier hsv then holden used them on base models!!! same colour though if in doubt ask paint supplier if the formula (different tinters to make the final colour) is exact same between the 2 colour names!!!

Painter Dan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2 SSV REDLINE
Sting / Red hot are the same colour. There are 3 codes F-143 , 687F and most recent 62U. There are 4 colour variants in my paint system spanning different Years/models that are very slightly different which is usual for any colour from any car manufacturer . The changes come because either the manufacturers change paint supplier or the base tinters or pigments have been changed usually to improve the colur fastness or similar issue . The early Sting red VX for example faded a lot and this was addressed in later models with a tinter change to formulea. When doing resprays I always go Clear over base to be safe in any red. My favourite red by the way...

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
This is good info Dan but the thread is 8 years old and the OP hasn't been on for over 4 years. Having said that there are other questions in panel beating & painting that require some expert advice and I'm sure the OP's and others in the active threads would greatly appreciate your input, myself included..