Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Socket set on sale

Discussion in 'Automotive Catalogues and Specials' started by greenacc, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Trevor loves holden.

Trevor loves holden. Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vs commodore
    Lets just say why do you need to torque that much any how, you just snap bolts and studs, my trax says 1200Nm don't know if I can get that from my belt driving 50l Stanley compressor but I know it kills those cheapo blackridge ones, does what I need.

2. EYY

EYY Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS Statesman
    I have Chicago pneumatic composite 1/2” impact guns, and the battery impact gun kills them, and rated at 490nm or thereabouts from memory. I’d say roughly equivalent to my 3/4” ingersoll rand gun but at 1/4 of the weight lol. However, that gun is probably 30 years old and wouldn’t compare to more modern pneumatic tools.

Trevor, no I haven’t measured it. As immortality said, I generally rattle them up with the impact gun and then use a torque wrench as required. Can be very handy where working with larger bolts where torque settings aren’t so critical.

Trevor loves holden. likes this.
  3. losh1971

losh1971 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Yeah my CP would have to be 40 years old as a retired mech owned it, it requires twice as much air as a modern CP. I didn't know a modern air gun would have much more torque, I thought they just used far less air.
    I also have a generic Repco $100 gun that I used to use but not anymore as its not much chop compared to the CP.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
  4. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    My cheap gun would have had no hope of undoing my crank bolt when I replaced the HB a few years ago.

5. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    I have an old and cheap air ratchet and man does it take some air to use. My old 220LPM compressor wouldn't keep up and i don't know if my new 3 cyl would either. I haven't used it in some time. Thinking I'd like to get a modern air ratchet though since they are way more efficient.

6. lmoengnr

lmoengnr Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
    Make sure you buy a decent ratchet...
    My 1/2" dr. pneumatic is bloody useless, not enough torque. Another reason I bought the M12 Milwaukee stubby.

7. Trevor loves holden.

Trevor loves holden. Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vs commodore
    Spot on most cheap air rattle are only single hammer, I had tried a couple of under 100 ones and they are only good for wheel nuts, my nephew got a cheap pneumatic and tried to remove his crank pully bolt on a Toyota wouldn't move so I grabbed my twin hammer and it was off in a flash, I wouldn't say its top of the line like SP but does what I need. It retails for about 229 I got it cheap 99 on ebay no one bided bar me, it has 2 settings and reverse. Might go battery when I downsize latter in life.

8. lmoengnr

lmoengnr Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
    I went battery 'cause I got sick of loading my spare small compressor into the back of the ute, if I was on the road.
    Nowadays, the compressor is used for filling tyres and with the air nozzle for blowing stuff around.

Lex and Trevor loves holden. like this.