Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Software Upgrades

Ceramic

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB RS AWD V6
Hi

Just wondering if Holden are still producing firmware/software upgrades now that things have changed with the company, does anyone know if they are still fixing/adding features?

I know with my old VF, when I took it in for a service they would often upgrade the software if it was a version behind.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Hi

Just wondering if Holden are still producing firmware/software upgrades now that things have changed with the company, does anyone know if they are still fixing/adding features?

I know with my old VF, when I took it in for a service they would often upgrade the software if it was a version behind.

The only module updates would be for the insignia or regal which could be applicable to the zb.
Holden is dead so we wont see too much support for their vehicles going forward but with the zb being an insignia the parts should still be obtainable from opel for some time.

Jack GS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 Buick Regal GS
It also somewhat depends on which software the car has, at least as far as infotainment goes. If it has the older Blackberry QNX software (early 2018), not even the Regals are receiving updates. The new Android Automotive Android-based OS software (late 2018 and on) is being put in almost every current GM product and will continue to receive support.

We've even managed to get our hands on the most recent update file. With just a USB drive and some time, the Regal software can be updated the without a trip to the dealer. It's hard to say if our updates are applicable to the Commodores or not though.

Last edited:

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
How do you determine whether you have the QNX or Android software?

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
How do you determine whether you have the QNX or Android software?

The zb does not have the android automotive os, it only has android auto.

Jack GS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 Buick Regal GS
The zb does not have the android automotive os, it only has android auto.
Actually yeah, that's correct, but it is Android-based. Full on Google Android Automotive OS isn't gonna be available until later on, which doesn't apply to us. We have either Blackberry QNX OS (referred to as Next Generation Infotainment or NGI) or Harman/Samsung developed OS (Infotainment 3, or INFO3). Harman reported working closely with Google and its OS is based on the Android Open Source Project (ASOP).

Here's how to tell the difference between the two:
Blackberry QNX/NGI (time and temp on top border bar):
1617276603953.png

or
1617275878320.png

Harman-Samsung/INFO3 (time and temp on bottom border bar):
1617276818504.png

or
1617276836736.png

Last edited:

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Actually yeah, that's correct, but it is Android-based. Full on Google Android Automotive OS isn't gonna be available until later on, which doesn't apply to us. We have either Blackberry QNX OS (referred to as Next Generation Infotainment or NGI) or Harman/Samsung developed OS (Infotainment 3, or INFO3). Harman reported working closely with Google and it's OS is based on the Android Open Source Project (ASOP).

Here's how to tell the difference between the two:
Blackberry QNX/NGI (time and temp on top border bar):
View attachment 220889
or
View attachment 220888

Harman-Samsung/INFO3 (time and temp on bottom border bar):
View attachment 220890
or
View attachment 220891

The ones here are the older style(top) ones.
I have seen the newer style(bottom) ones on the my20 zb in new zealand but i have not found one in aus yet.
I am trying to source one to retrofit it into my zb.

Jack GS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 Buick Regal GS
I am trying to source one to retrofit it into my zb.
You'd have a lot of really excited Buick owners if you pull it off. If I recall correctly, WAMS has pretty much come out and said it's not possible.

Ceramic

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB RS AWD V6
This is interesting, so my ZB has this one:

Does anyone with a ZB have a different version?

1617669608103.png

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
This is interesting, so my ZB has this one:

Does anyone with a ZB have a different version?

View attachment 221045

the rs and below have that 7 inch unit and the upper spec models have the 8 inch unit.

the 2020(my20) has upgraded software on the 7 inch screen which is the unit i am looking to source to retrofit it into my rs.

i think this is the home screen layout of the upgraded one but i am yet to find a proper example
2019-Holden-Acadia-LTZ-V-dash-display-2.jpg

the guys in nz confirmed it is different in this post

Last edited: