Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Solar power experience.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
With all the debate on climate change we have seen on this forum over recent times, I'm wondering what members have done in response to rising power bills and adopting renewable energy sources.

Last September, I decided to go down the solar energy route for a number of reasons. Obviously, reduced power bills was one but the potential for improved valuation at sale time, thus recouping installation costs, and a desire to see for myself how effective solar power could be compared to living solely off the grid.

After the first full billing quarter, our bill has fallen from around $450 to $108. During peak summer days, temperatures reached over 40 degrees on several days and our peak was just over 43. We had two split system a/c units running from around 9am till 8 or 9pm, a pool pump running four to six hours per day every day, two fridges and the tv. When I checked our meter, we were still feeding the grid. Admittedly, we have a large installation for a domestic residence but I feel with the likely increases in power costs yet to come, the investment was worthwhile. Batteries may come later but at this stage we only plan to stay here another six years or so.

Anybody else here have solar or other alternative energy experiences?

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
We fitted solar panels in Oct 2010, ( the peak time for promotions and sales,) because we believed the stories about saving the world and saving our money.

Total cost for a 2.16KW was $14,714, but after the smoke and mirrors rebates of the time were applied, the cost to us was $8,853. By the time the panels were installed, we got an upgraded system using less panels for an increased output of more than the initial quoted 2.16KW. I don’t know what the actual capacity is.

Up until Dec 16, when the NSW Govt discontinued the input rebate, we received $9,125 return. During that time, we had to replace the inverter, $1,000 which was under warranty, but you can’t get a warranty claim from a company that doesn’t exist anymore.

Therefore, we didn’t gain any financial benefit over 6 years by fitting the panels.

From our last EnergyAust account up to 28 Feb 18, I can’t tell how much we are ‘saving’, because our unknown generation is deducted from our unknown consumption. These ‘details’ will be available to us at some future date when EnergyAust get around to it.
We get a bill showing how graphs of our use, and no doubt that our bill is lower, but by how much is the $64 question. Smoke and mirrors again.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I haven't got panels but i did install a 4.5k solar hot water. I built my house to be as energy efficient as i could get. R4 in the walls, R2.5 under the floor, R1.5 under the iron roof and R4 in the ceiling. I bought a 4 star fridge and because I'm a low income earner the state gov in conjunction with Aurora Energy paid 500 bucks towards it 3 years ago. Every light in my house is LED. With everything i have done my power bill is around 170 a quarter before i get my low income rebate that in the winter brings it down to about 100 bucks and about 70 in the summer.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Probably if you were to stay in your home for a while, they would pay for them self, I’ve thought about it my place has a low pitched roof, and gets all day sun , as there are just two of us at home , our power bills are fairly reasonable, we have a 7 KW inventor heat pump , aircon unit , and a wood burner , over winter the monthly bill is around $110 in summer , running the aircon it’s $80-90 .

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Our unit comprises 24 Canadian manufactured panels. Output is 6.34kw, a bit of domestic overkill, I admit, but with the number of power suckers we have here and the amount of time they run each day, they cost us nothing.

Our energy company is Alinta, whose bills are quite detailed. Last quarter, we put over 1300 kw into the grid, but as we only connected last year, our rebate is only 6.1c/p/kw. However, I reckon when the time comes to sell, the solar installation will be a very strong selling point because of its size.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Have a good read here.
https://www.solarquotes.com.au/sola...a&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=nsolarrebatepl2
Go to start here.
https://www.solarquotes.com.au/solar101.html
The right system for you is mind browing.
I got a 2kw for $4000 in 2012 REC panels one of the best at the time and still is.
I sold the house but with me only I was making money not much.
5kw would be the lowest I would go if you got room on the roof.
Battery ready system (batteries to dear and only 10yr. warrentry)
My girlfriend doesn`t work anymore so is home most times and no good in the heat so a 5+kw and battery would be ideal.
Aircon has been on for 4 weeks (mybe off for an hour or so)
So may still get $300 bill but without solar and battery could be $600+ bill.

Good luck getting a system there is a lot of cheap panels around.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Our unit comprises 24 Canadian manufactured panels. Output is 6.34kw, a bit of domestic overkill, I admit, but with the number of power suckers we have here and the amount of time they run each day, they cost us nothing.
Not overkill at all.

markalan1two

Smile and wave boys !!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
X5 BMW, GenF2 GTS, HSV Y R8, AMG C43

Our energy company is Alinta, whose bills are quite detailed. Last quarter, we put over 1300 kw into the grid, but as we only connected last year, our rebate is only 6.1c/p/kw. However, I reckon when the time comes to sell, the solar installation will be a very strong selling point because of its size.
what was the initial cost for the install

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I'll admit to it being over 10k. I mentioned Canadian made panels earlier. I was assured they are a premium grade panel with a working life of around 25 years, though their performance will slowly deteriorate after about five to six years. Keeping them free of dust and bird droppings bywill help keep them in the best working order.

Our house was ideal for such a large installation. The back room faces north and is a large skillion extension. The best part is that despite the number of panels, none are visible from ground level and the appearance of the house has not been spoiled. These things can be unsightly.

Last edited:

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
They sound like some decent setups . I've had solar panels since the middle of 2011.
Only a 2.36 kw system is certainly better than nothing.
House runs on panels during the day and excess sent to grid.
Have spent last 8 months on arvo shift so home more during the day but the cedit for unused power was almost the same as previous 6 months but bills have been less thanks to being home during the day and less during peak times and nights so I'm quite happy.