Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Solar power experience.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
We bought house in 2012 with 2kw system already fitted we get a great feed in tariff so takes the edge off but large 2 storey house pool 3 phase a/c and a lot of welding. Lucky we get 44c govt feeding and 14c from energy ausyralia but can't expand unit or we go to 6c

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
We bought house in 2012 with 2kw system already fitted we get a great feed in tariff so takes the edge off but large 2 storey house pool 3 phase a/c and a lot of welding. Lucky we get 44c govt feeding and 14c from energy ausyralia but can't expand unit or we go to 6c

That's a good feed in rate.

Our place already had the system installed when we bought it. I'm not sure what size it is but it only has 8 panels so not a big one. It was initially installled by the previous owners in 2011 and gets a total of 47.135c p/kwh feed in tariff until 2021.

In the warmer months, we are feeding in somewehere between 220 - 250 kwh on our two monthy bill. This drops to low to mid 100s kwh during the cooler months.

We have 4 split system a/c units, multiple TVs etc. Gas hot water and cooking though. No poool or other such fancy toys.

Leading up to our feed in agreement expiring in 2021, I'll be looking into options for expansion and battery which should be a great deal cheaper by then.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Leading up to our feed in agreement expiring in 2021, I'll be looking into options for expansion and battery which should be a great deal cheaper by then.

We will do the same once tariff drops off buts its 44 kw until 2028 in south Australia so wont happen for a bit, we have 32 panels(installed 2009) but the old dark brown ones so not the best get 15kws a day max in summer

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
That's a very impressive feed in tariff and having it for another ten years is outstanding. If I had that tariff, they'd be paying me instead of vice versa.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Probably why they are so addicted to our GST over there.

Mike Litherous

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ssv
Unfortinaly I live in the hills and solar is not really viable due to lack of winter sunlight.

Next house I’m planning to have a totally off grid battery system. As we get older u want less and less bills.

markalan1two

Smile and wave boys !!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
X5 BMW, GenF2 GTS, HSV Y R8, AMG C43
That's a very impressive feed in tariff and having it for another ten years is outstanding. If I had that tariff, they'd be paying me instead of vice versa.
It's not them paying you, it's us!! The one's without Solar that subsidise it through our increased bills.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
It's not them paying you, it's us!! The one's without Solar that subsidise it through our increased bills.
I know that but high bills are here to stay. It's pretty obvious that households have to do more than switching off lights to reduce costs. For the power from the grid that solar Home owners actually pay for, those high rates also apply to them.

markalan1two

Smile and wave boys !!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
X5 BMW, GenF2 GTS, HSV Y R8, AMG C43
Not bagging you Calaber, all power to you (no pun intended) for being able to take advantage. In my current home it's not viable.