Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Solar power experience.

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Calaber, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Happydaze

Happydaze Happydaze

Members Ride:
    VH SLE T30
    I got a 3kw system , paid for itself in 2.5 years, no bills and a nice rebate.

VS_Pete likes this.
  2. Calaber

Calaber Nil Bastardo Carborundum

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2
    It's ok mate. Didn't consider your comment to be offside. I'd though about going solar a few times but it was only when the sales rep knocked that I bit the bullet. We originally planned to sell in about two years. It's now six at least.

3. Reaper

Reaper Tells it like it is.

Members Ride:
    VZ LX8 Adventra, VP SS
    Solar these days is a no brainer. The real question is when to make the jump to a battery. I'm going to build a new place for the family starting later this year (with luck if town planning ever get their arse into gear!). I'm looking at 10KW solar + pool heating + probably solar hot water. 3 young kids and a wife kinda make the power bill an eye watering proposition so I'm looking to do whatever I can :p

The million dollar question is when do batteries become the viable option? I'm hoping/expecting approx 18 months which would suit my build just perfectly :D

The other huge dilemma for Vic is weather to go gas or leccy heating. It's a while before I make the decision but finding objective information is somewhat difficult at the moment.

4. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    I doubt that is going to get any easier.

5. figjam

figjam Donating Member

Members Ride:
    Monaro CV8 series 3, Cross 6 Crewman, Territory.
    I did a bit of research into our EnergyAust online useage stats.

During 2015, used 9601Kw total, = 800Kw per month.
    During 2016, used 9669Kw total, = 805Kw per month.
    December 2016, we lost the 60c feed-in rebate, replaced with 6c feed-in per Kw.
    Jan > June 2017, used 5157Kw, = 860Kw per month. No credit for excess feed-in.
    June 2017, meter replaced with an updated smart meter, and excess feed-in of 12cKw contracted.
    July 2017 > Feb 2018, used 5296Kw total, = 662Kw per month.
    July 2017 > Feb 2018, excess feed-in = $ 180 or $22 per month.

End result …… currently ‘using’ about 150Kw less per month, and being paid $20.

6. losh1971

losh1971 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Solar hot water is the go for sure. Get an Apricus if you can. They are the most expensive but they are the best. I installed one and have been able to get rid of the off-peak tariff fees of $20 a month because my hot water rarely needs boosting and when it does I still save money because it's less than the cost of cheaper rate hot water plus the off peak tariff charges. AFAIK the battery option is good if the feed in rate is low and if you have frequent power outages. Because they are fairly exi. You probably already know this but a pool blanket is the go if you don't have one. Warms the water nice, depending how low your winters are.

7. dgp

dgp Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF II SSV Redline
    I was listening to talkback radio last week where a guy was talking about super capacitors as the next replacement for battery storage. They last much longer, are much smaller and are made from carbon so when they eventually cark it, are also recyclable. There is no chemical reaction like batteries, so no risk of fire. Similar cost to batteries apparently.

Sandman and VS_Pete like this.
  8. VS_Pete

VS_Pete Donating Member

Members Ride:
    VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
    sounds like the way to go

9. Lex

Lex Active Member

Members Ride:
    VT Executive S1 V6 Auto Wagon
    About 13 years ago, l was researching batteries & came across Tesla sports coupe (electric car) which is battery powered.
    The battery consists of 33% lithium iron batteries & 67% super capacitors. They are specially set up with cooling vents & channels to keep cool. This is what l read on Teslas' web site years ago. And haven't forgotten.

10. greenacc

greenacc Searching for the billion

Members Ride:
    VE Berlina
    I wouldn't buy a battery system yet. There must be another quantum leap coming soon.
    Personality I'm staying away from Gas too.
    Apparently the money hungry gas companies in Aus have pre sold so much gas to foreign clients we are i for a price hike and gas shortage for several years to come.

Lex and losh1971 like this.
  11. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    At least WA had enough foresight (for a change) to legislate for minimum domestic reserves, unlike their eastern states colleagues.

losh1971 likes this.
  12. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    i think gas is the go for your stove. I installed lpg and just use 9kg bottles so no rent. Just fill them or swap when someone has a good deal on, like bunnings.

13. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Just off the record i have seen a bloke once fill his 45kg out of the pump at the servo. He had some sort of adapter. The other way is you get an old car lpg tank and make an adapter to drain the lpg into smaller 9kg bottles. I have done that before. Just need to make a hose up and connect 12v to the switch.

14. Wozza

Wozza Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR_GS commodore
    5.67kw system here...put in march last year, didnt really meet my expectations but they were way high :)
    Our normal summer bill is around $600 this summer was $218 (feedin tariff 11c.....36.75c/kw supply charge) ...not bad as we are fully electric and old style gravity feed hot water system, which is now run by a smart switch so its partly solar now :D

15. greenacc

greenacc Searching for the billion

Members Ride:
    VE Berlina
    Sounds OK Wozza, saving over 100 a month. Do the panels face north and get full sun or was that not possible

16. Wozza

Wozza Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR_GS commodore
    northish and next door has a big f**ker of a tree which clips the late afternoon sun...

17. Calaber

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2
    That's another point where we were so fortunate. One neighbour has a smaller version of the Royal National Park in her back yard (completely covered by tall trees) but our roof isn't in shadow after about 7am. On the other side, I recently helped the neighbour clear every tree from his back yard because they were all cocos palms which he hated.

18. MasterOfReality

MasterOfReality Miners go deeper

Members Ride:
    2011 Mazda3 MPS, 2006 Suzuki GV, 1991 VP Calais
    This is relevant to my interests.

We churned through an average of 35.5 kWh per day in the last quarter with a $900 bill.

House has two ducted aircon systems with a total of 26kW, four pumps (1 pool pump running 8 hrs a day, 1 pool solar hot water pump running 10 mins a day on low setting, and 2 septic pumps), electric hot water, 1 fridge and the usual tv's and laptop. We use the aircon in sleeping quarters at night due to humidity lately. During the day we use ceiling fans mostly. Pool is on a controlled load tariff and hot water on off peak tariff.

House has a skillion roof so perfect as we won't see them from the street. House faces north south.

Should we be looking at greater than 6kw systems? Fairly new to this so haven't really started researching. We are on 3 phase power, are there inverter implications?

Cheers

19. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Surely your whole house is not on 3 phase? That should just be for your aircon units. We had three phase and single phase when I lived in Adelaide and it was no issue with panels.

20. Calaber

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2
    When the electrician fitted our inverter, he had to swap wires around to even out the load across the circuits. At the time I think he stated we needed 3 phase because of the pv output and the load imposed at maximum consumption.

We have 2 split system a/c's running consecutively. The new pool pump is more energy efficient than the very old unit it replaced. A new 520 litre fridge and a bar fridge add to the demand. We have a new flatscreen TV and a PC usually on standby. Microwave timer clock and that's about it for power draw. Gas for stove and hot water.

With the pool pump and both ac's running, the pv generates excess for the grid. Add the TV and it still does, depending on cloud cover. When you've put in a system as big and exxy as ours, it's natural to defend your choice but as it obviously exceeds normal daily needs for two people, it would probably cope well with a larger family's needs.