Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Solar power experience.

Happydaze

Happydaze
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE T30
I got a 3kw system , paid for itself in 2.5 years, no bills and a nice rebate.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Not bagging you Calaber, all power to you (no pun intended) for being able to take advantage. In my current home it's not viable.
It's ok mate. Didn't consider your comment to be offside. I'd though about going solar a few times but it was only when the sales rep knocked that I bit the bullet. We originally planned to sell in about two years. It's now six at least.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Solar these days is a no brainer. The real question is when to make the jump to a battery. I'm going to build a new place for the family starting later this year (with luck if town planning ever get their arse into gear!). I'm looking at 10KW solar + pool heating + probably solar hot water. 3 young kids and a wife kinda make the power bill an eye watering proposition so I'm looking to do whatever I can :p

The million dollar question is when do batteries become the viable option? I'm hoping/expecting approx 18 months which would suit my build just perfectly :D

The other huge dilemma for Vic is weather to go gas or leccy heating. It's a while before I make the decision but finding objective information is somewhat difficult at the moment.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
The other huge dilemma for Vic is weather to go gas or leccy heating. It's a while before I make the decision but finding objective information is somewhat difficult at the moment.

I doubt that is going to get any easier.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I did a bit of research into our EnergyAust online useage stats.

During 2015, used 9601Kw total, = 800Kw per month.
During 2016, used 9669Kw total, = 805Kw per month.
December 2016, we lost the 60c feed-in rebate, replaced with 6c feed-in per Kw.
Jan > June 2017, used 5157Kw, = 860Kw per month. No credit for excess feed-in.
June 2017, meter replaced with an updated smart meter, and excess feed-in of 12cKw contracted.
July 2017 > Feb 2018, used 5296Kw total, = 662Kw per month.
July 2017 > Feb 2018, excess feed-in = $ 180 or $22 per month.

End result …… currently ‘using’ about 150Kw less per month, and being paid $20.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Solar these days is a no brainer. The real question is when to make the jump to a battery. I'm going to build a new place for the family starting later this year (with luck if town planning ever get their arse into gear!). I'm looking at 10KW solar + pool heating + probably solar hot water. 3 young kids and a wife kinda make the power bill an eye watering proposition so I'm looking to do whatever I can :p

The million dollar question is when do batteries become the viable option? I'm hoping/expecting approx 18 months which would suit my build just perfectly :D

Solar hot water is the go for sure. Get an Apricus if you can. They are the most expensive but they are the best. I installed one and have been able to get rid of the off-peak tariff fees of $20 a month because my hot water rarely needs boosting and when it does I still save money because it's less than the cost of cheaper rate hot water plus the off peak tariff charges. AFAIK the battery option is good if the feed in rate is low and if you have frequent power outages. Because they are fairly exi. You probably already know this but a pool blanket is the go if you don't have one. Warms the water nice, depending how low your winters are.

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
I was listening to talkback radio last week where a guy was talking about super capacitors as the next replacement for battery storage. They last much longer, are much smaller and are made from carbon so when they eventually cark it, are also recyclable. There is no chemical reaction like batteries, so no risk of fire. Similar cost to batteries apparently.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
I was listening to talkback radio last week where a guy was talking about super capacitors as the next replacement for battery storage. They last much longer, are much smaller and are made from carbon so when they eventually cark it, are also recyclable. There is no chemical reaction like batteries, so no risk of fire. Similar cost to batteries apparently.
sounds like the way to go

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
About 13 years ago, l was researching batteries & came across Tesla sports coupe (electric car) which is battery powered.
The battery consists of 33% lithium iron batteries & 67% super capacitors. They are specially set up with cooling vents & channels to keep cool. This is what l read on Teslas' web site years ago. And haven't forgotten.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I wouldn't buy a battery system yet. There must be another quantum leap coming soon.
Personality I'm staying away from Gas too.
Apparently the money hungry gas companies in Aus have pre sold so much gas to foreign clients we are i for a price hike and gas shortage for several years to come.