Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Solar power experience.

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 NT Pajero Exceed, 1984 VK SL
Just a light dig on this thread, anyone have any updated info or suggestions on solar systems? I'm balls deep in research to try and work out a rough idea of what I need and to have some relevant questions to ask companies I will be getting quotes from. Too many companies out there to make a quick buck. I'm after a decent system to give a quality result, quarterly power bill is around the $1000 mark, daily average is 35kWh. Not convinced battery tech is good enough yet for the cost and longevity.

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
I had a SolarEdge 6.5kw system with 345w Canadian Solar panelsinstalled coming up 3 years ago, some slight shading early morning and midday but all in all been very happy with the system, hasn't missed a beat nor the optimisers which some people were claiming would fail after 12 months.

Back then it seemed to be either Fronius or SolarEdge, I was swayed toward the SolarEdge due to better warranty at the time and no fan on the inverter.

Like yourself battery isn't up to scratch yet unless you have the cash to blow, the idea of a payback when the warranty is up just doesn't appeal to me.

Trying to workout the ROI is near impossible since the FIT goes up and down across the year.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Just a light dig on this thread, anyone have any updated info or suggestions on solar systems? I'm balls deep in research to try and work out a rough idea of what I need and to have some relevant questions to ask companies I will be getting quotes from. Too many companies out there to make a quick buck. I'm after a decent system to give a quality result, quarterly power bill is around the $1000 mark, daily average is 35kWh. Not convinced battery tech is good enough yet for the cost and longevity.
https://www.solarquotes.com.au/
A lot of reading
You can ask for help.
I knew what I wanted at the time and a good price (just in the right place/time)
Not there anymore just me I was getting good feed/in $100 a month.
Anyway have a look at link good luck

Baldoldfart

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY
We setup a stand alone solar system about 5 years ago, used second hand batteries. 4.5 KW is enough for us, house VERY well insulated and double glazing. Summer 40C+, no need for A/C. System running well, no problems ever. We live out a bit and they wanted 120K to supply grid power, rough memory it cost just over 10K.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Just in the process of smashing 9.9kw on the roof of our new build with a Fronius 10kw 3ph inverter. Check back in a few months to see how it's running

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 NT Pajero Exceed, 1984 VK SL
Just in the process of smashing 9.9kw on the roof of our new build with a Fronius 10kw 3ph inverter. Check back in a few months to see how it's running
Whats the cost for that install? I had a sales guy come round on Sat, quote for 10.23kW system with 31 QCell Maxx 330 panels and 10kW Sungrow inverter is $9,450. Reckons that will get my bills to basically zero, ROI is 2.7 years. Sales rep said AGL have one of the best feed tarrifs at the moment, 20c. Can go a smaller 8.58kW system with 26 panels for $8,150. Havent asked for a cheaper price yet, waiting on a quote from another company first.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Whats the cost for that install? I had a sales guy come round on Sat, quote for 10.23kW system with 31 QCell Maxx 330 panels and 10kW Sungrow inverter is $9,450. Reckons that will get my bills to basically zero, ROI is 2.7 years. Sales rep said AGL have one of the best feed tarrifs at the moment, 20c. Can go a smaller 8.58kW system with 26 panels for $8,150. Havent asked for a cheaper price yet, waiting on a quote from another company first.

You can't compare prices directly as the rebates vary from state to state. QCells seem to get good reviews as do Sungrow. I ended up running Jinko Cheetah PERC half cell panels and Fronius Symo 10.0-3-M Inverter.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
**** you guys get cheap Solar there. A 2-3kw system is about NZ$5.5k There are no rebates etc here in NZ :(

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
**** you guys get cheap Solar there. A 2-3kw system is about NZ$5.5k There are no rebates etc here in NZ :(

Not much sun either from what I hear :p