Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

soldering iron and wire stripper.

aperfectcircle

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ute 04 VYIISS 5.7 M6
12Voltking said:
bah, I dunno why you kids don't just use side cutters to strip wire... why carry around an extra tool.

Come on people,

Lets use the right tools for the job:thumbsup:

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
yeh, why carry sidecutters when teeth work just as good(for little stuff anyway)

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
because dental work is expensive?

Brycestro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2
garfa said:
are you saying you dont know what side cutters are or am i just missing something?

no i seriously don't know what they are.

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
Cigarette lighter, calluses on ur hand, melt plastic, beautiful. juse use sidecutters to cut.

Cheers
MaT

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
ive done it since i started highschool(pretty much wen i started messing with electronics) i aint dead yet, and i have ingested some weird stuff.

but i have to admit, havent done it in a couple years now.

253@7k

300rwhp supra. yay.
Reaction score
Members Ride
TT Supra/HZ Ute.
12Voltking said:
bah, I dunno why you kids don't just use side cutters to strip wire... why carry around an extra tool.

Because if your working with a 5 core wire (as I do fitting towbars) a pair like these give you the capacity to strip 3/4/5 wires at once.

Last edited:
S

Sorak

Thanks Garfa,

I've just installed my new HU this weekend, so I went and bought a Portasol first. I love It! I wish I'd bought one years ago...

To anyone who is still using a corded soldering iron I can't sress enough how convenient and easy a cordless iron is to use. It is more than hot enough for any use, and the hot air tip is great for heatshrink tubing...

I still use sidecutters to strip wire though as I was taught by a sparky. It does take some practice and skill to avoid cutting the wire. However I will be buying the auto wire stripper this week as I am sure it will save me heaps of time...

Regards,
Sorak.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
slundy said:
Because if your working with a 5 core wire (as I do fitting towbars) a pair like these give you the capacity to strip 3/4/5 wires at once.

I'd lay money down that using my sidecutters (another term for wirecutters) I could strip back the outer core and then 5 inner cores quicker then you could line them up in that thing...