Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Solids new VP Calais (soon to be turbo)

Solid8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais LS1 Turbo
Well I have taken a deposit for the turbo kit on the Calais so I have removed the kit in preparation for its new owner. It was time to get a new set of wheels to start another project. I looked for a bit and found an original VP Calais. I picked her up last week for a decent price. It is totally stock except for a Pioneer head deck and cat back exhaust. She has done 275,000kms and drives real nice I must say. She has nice cold air cond and all electrics work for now. The car is pretty clean and I must say is a pleasure to drive. It is ridiculously slow though which I cant stand.

I have wanted to make up a single turbo kit to suit VN-VR for quite some time so this will be beginning next week. I will be using a Garrett GT3582R with internal wastegate and I will be selling them as a full bolt on kit once it is developed and tested thoroughly. Pics will be added as progress takes place.

23122009.jpg

23122009_001.jpg

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
Can't wait to see the progress on this one Shane. It looks quite neat.

H1GHROLLR

CHEMICALLY SUPERCHARGED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX CLUBSPORT R8 LS1
hey mate im looking at putting a turbo on a vp calais too can u keep me up to date with what your doing it would be greatly appriciated

Solid8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais LS1 Turbo
hey mate im looking at putting a turbo on a vp calais too can u keep me up to date with what your doing it would be greatly appriciated

No worries mate, stay tuned here for progress. I have done a bit so far including some work on the manifold and intercooler. I have looked at how many other kits are done and I havent seen one which retains the air cond. Every other kit you have to remove the condensor from the block and all the hoses. I dont want to do this and the way I am doing it you will keep the air cond which is a damn good thing. It is a bit tricky, but I can do it. Here is a few simple pics so far. I will put some pics up later this week or next week showing the manifold and turbo position.

04012010_003.jpg

04012010_002.jpg

vp_304

Reaction score
what size cooler is that mate?
do u have a photo of it with the front bar back on did u have to cut much?

Verynice

Band
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice 5L
nice man, love the VP calais' espcially the white over grey

Solid8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais LS1 Turbo
what size cooler is that mate?
do u have a photo of it with the front bar back on did u have to cut much?

I have actually moved the cooler up a bit higher than in the pic. I havent properly fitted the bumper up but it will need just a whisker taken off the base, nothing much though :) The cooler is a 600x300x76

vp_304

Reaction score
Some beter photos of the whole front and how u mounted the cooler with bar of and on would help me heaps thanks mate :)

Solid8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais LS1 Turbo
I havent done much on this project lately but today I made up the manifold. Here is a pic of the turbo sitting on the manifold. Next I will do the crossover pipe and after that the dump pipe and a few other small things. Should be ready in a month or so being realistic. The turbo is a Garrett GT3582R from a XR6 turbo. I will get some decent quality pics with my SLR soon as the phone cam is ****

24012010_003.jpg

Solid8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais LS1 Turbo
I took some decent pics of the manifold yesterday. I have made up the crossover pipe and dummied up the dump pipe also. Getting there, still a few things to do but most of the hard work is done

VPV6Manifold.jpg

IMGP1027.jpg