Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Solids new VP Calais (soon to be turbo)

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
How are you going to tune this Shane? Do you have the program and equipment to tune the standard ECU or are you gunna run an aftermarket ECU? It's looking good by the way.

Solid8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais LS1 Turbo
Thanks Nick :) I have priced up Kalmaker software as I did want to tune it myself. After finding out the price I cant justify it. It has limited use for only a small model range. Kalmaker has dozens of different tuning packages needed to cover all models so there is no point in me getting it. I will prob take it to Leon to get tuned :)

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
Fair enough, he knows his stuff that's for sure.

LeaThaL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series 1 sedan
hey dude,

nice ride and your a keen man geting the turbo done so quick,

but comming from the world of twin turbo 1uz's and what not, but whats the point of having the turbo run on only one side of the motor? wouldnt it be better to run 2 small turbos and join the pipes before the intercooler?

or is the exhaust gasses from only one side of the motor enought to do the job?

im not knocking, im just curious :p

Matt_vp

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy lumina v6 A4
He will make a crossover pipe which will join the 2 banks together, if you look at his pic of the manifold you will see a flange that is where the crossover pipe will bolt to.

Projects coming along nicely keep us up to date. There are a few people on here that can make you a tune that will go alright, up untill 10psi.
Matt

LeaThaL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series 1 sedan
ah hes going behind the engine! :p i thought that was for a wastegate, good idea i must say, i dont know why but i never liked twin head motors having th exhaust pipe run around the front of the motor :p

either way im envious, shes a sweet ride dude

Matt_vp

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy lumina v6 A4
Imo you should of used a bigger diameter pipe for the crossover, it might be a bit restrictive.
Matt

Solid8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais LS1 Turbo
hey dude,

nice ride and your a keen man geting the turbo done so quick,

but comming from the world of twin turbo 1uz's and what not, but whats the point of having the turbo run on only one side of the motor? wouldnt it be better to run 2 small turbos and join the pipes before the intercooler?

or is the exhaust gasses from only one side of the motor enought to do the job?

im not knocking, im just curious :p

Thanks for the comments everyone. Single turbo is just more cost effective as you dont have the expense of 2 turbos. Twins would be a good way to go but the cost factor must be considered. The crossover pipe is the same size as my LS1 turbo kits. There wont be any restriction as my old VY SV8 made over 700rwhp with the same crossover pipe size. I would be stoked if this thing made 300rwhp lol

Not too much more to go on this project. I just have to make up the oil drain tube and a few other small things. The oil and water feeds are all done and the dump pipe is finished. Just got to get around to making an exhaust for it now out of 3 inch tube and a few mandrel bends. Shouldnt be too long before I can start it :)

IMGP1043.jpg

Solid8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais LS1 Turbo
Just a couple more pics showing the manifold and plug clearance with dump pipe on etc. It is easy to change the plugs with the dump pipe on still.

IMGP1025.jpg

IMGP1049.jpg

Solid8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais LS1 Turbo
He will make a crossover pipe which will join the 2 banks together, if you look at his pic of the manifold you will see a flange that is where the crossover pipe will bolt to.

Projects coming along nicely keep us up to date. There are a few people on here that can make you a tune that will go alright, up untill 10psi.
Matt

Thanks mate. I priced up Kalmaker software myself as I do LS1 tuning but I cant justify the price for a once off tune. I will prob end up seeing Leon from Awesome Automotive here in Adel as he has lots of experience with these sorts of set ups. I will run as much boost as I can hopefully about 14-15psi and see what goes bang lol