Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Solution to Sticky fuel/temp guages

havavb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Ute
Where abouts would i find the plugs? Because the fuel gauge is shitting me. Its hard to know a estimate of my exact fuel. The needle goes up and down. Never sticks to a certain place for a period of time.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Where abouts would i find the plugs? Because the fuel gauge is shitting me. Its hard to know a estimate of my exact fuel. The needle goes up and down. Never sticks to a certain place for a period of time.

To take the cluster out you have 4 screws holding the head light and wiper switch in place. When you take them out you pull it towards the steering wheel. You will find the 5 plugs then. When you get them undone you can take the cluster out and pull that aprt to get to the voltage regulator. Solder up the voltage regulator and this will fix most fuel gauges. If not it will be the sender not making good contact inside the tank itself.

6ltrben

SS Fanatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS , VP SS , VE SS
Will be doing this to my VP on Saturday... Thanks for the info guys

VN Wagz

PshhhhHHT- **TuTuTuTu**
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina V6 Wagon
sadly, i have to report that this did nothing for my shitty fuel gauge. Temp gauge works perfectly, as it always has. Im thinking now that my tank sender is cactus, has anyone else found that this didnt make any difference?

Oh, just read the above... "If not it will be the sender not making good contact inside the tank itself."

Is there a thread for fixing this?

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
sadly, i have to report that this did nothing for my shitty fuel gauge. Temp gauge works perfectly, as it always has. Im thinking now that my tank sender is cactus, has anyone else found that this didnt make any difference?

Oh, just read the above... "If not it will be the sender not making good contact inside the tank itself."

Is there a thread for fixing this?

I'm replacing the sender unit next.

1989vn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1989 VN
Hello .And Thank you so much Gosling1 ! After reading your info about the sticking guages, I realised that this is what is wrong with mine too. and i was so over bashing my dash to get my guages working. I pulled my guages apart yesturday and i found the problem you mention i solderd them and yes My guages work good now they havent stuck once its so good.Thank you your info was and is very helpful. Cheers

Last edited:

merlinsteve

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN calais v6
I just re soldered the Voltage reg and it seems to have fixed the sticky fuel gauge. The tacko worked for about 5 mins then dropped back to 0. I also had to re calibrate the speedo needle whilst the car was running. when I initially turned it on the speedo jumped to 60 km/h. I just popped it off and set it back at 0 and it seems to be working ok. Now to work you the tacko.

Thanks for the info though it is good.

Phil10

Reaction score
Members Ride
1988 vn Commodore wagon
As a new member, I have had a 1988 VN wagon for 12 years.
It has been a great car, but I found the having to bash the dash problem very early.

I am a Technician, and tried all kinds of things. The guage runs on very little current, and
is a thermal one.
Good to see someone has found one reason for the problem.

Dan355

Go THE SS's
Reaction score
Members Ride
Street Legal 355ci VN SS - Daily: VP SS
Anyone know how to fix an adometre? I have the dash out, just need to know what to fiddle with...