Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Solution to Sticky fuel/temp guages

G

gbug

thanks for posting that, have to give it a go. Sick of bashing my car!

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
So the voltage regulator sits behind the tacho on the top left hand corner. Because I couldn't see any circuit board behind the actaul fuel gauge or temp gauge.

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
Okay, I have resoldered the voltage regulator. I also decided to resolder all the solder joints on that board. Temp guage and Fuel gauge works well. But ever since I have have done this and also I put my new dash layout in. At night time. When the hand brake light is on. It also lights up but dim the oil light beside it. If I have the right hand blinker on, it shows the hand brake light on but dim too. If I have the high beam on, it will show the oil light on dim. What could be causing this. I suspect I think because I have resoldered all the joints. Maybe I have accidently got cross talk on the circuit board and allowing current to be going where it shouldn't. So I will check again this weekend and make sure all tracks are clean. But could it be anything else?

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
I think I have worked out the problem with the warning lights. With the original face plates. They actually surrounded the globe holes. This obviously stopping the light from passing to one section to another. The new white background I got, stops before the light holes. So there is nothing between them which allows some light to feed through.
But my new white background looks awesome so I am not going to worry to much about it. I may invent something to go between them when I have some time to waste.

Gosling1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore Series 1
Hi Jim - glad to hear you got it all sorted. The white dash you mention - is this one of those trick replacement things ?? How much costy ? Do you reckon its worth the money ? I have been thinking about one of these for some time........

cheers
Dave

P

PhatVN

This thread is worth being a sticky under the new VN-VP HOW-TO section i must say
something i plan on doin down the track anyways
so ratta or garth if ure reading ;) plz sticky under the subforum :thumbsup:

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
I have the tacho dash, will perform this task and see how it goes ;).

My tacho sticks around 1500 as well so I'll see what I can do with it.

scrapvn

Just call me 'hey you!'
Reaction score
Members Ride
vn berlina & HQ Statesman
3/4 Tank!

Thanx Gosling1!!! :thumbsup:
Your tip about the dry joints was SPOT ON! The joints were so dry there were buzzards circling! I found nearly 3/4 tank of fuel.
Any suggestions about avoiding speeding tickets that doesnt involve slowing down? :whistling

B

brentasaurous

I have this problem but im going to try to fix it tomorrow. Ill let you know how it goes. Also i have a custom face plate for my dash - red with black surrounds so its a bit of an SS lookalike - absolutely sweeeet. Ill take some pics of it tmorow and post them up - stay tuned and cheers for the tip!

SeanV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais V8
gbug said:
thanks for posting that, have to give it a go. Sick of bashing my car!

Yeah same... great news.

Is there are a guide somewhere to remove the instrument cluster from the dash?