Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Solution to Sticky fuel/temp guages

AKA_VT2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V6
Worked a treat on my VP cheers!

chevyshubox

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk commodore
Just did the resolder to the voltage regulator and both Temp and fuel gauges seam to be working fine. I also did the odometer gears while I was at it and now the odometer works perfect. I found that both gears on the odo where still in perfect condition with no teeth missing but it sometimes didnt work so I changed them anyway and so far so good.

Just thought I would update. My temp still works fine but my fuel gauge stopped again and would only work if I hit the dash so I had a look on ebay and there was a brand new VN gauge for $50.00 so I bought it and now my fuel gauge never sticks.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Just thought I would update. My temp still works fine but my fuel gauge stopped again and would only work if I hit the dash so I had a look on ebay and there was a brand new VN gauge for $50.00 so I bought it and now my fuel gauge never sticks.

It looks like if your tried all the soldering on the votage regulator, cleaned the rest stop pin of any goo and lubed the needle point and the gauge still sticks, it is cacktus for sure. I've binned about 20 gauges todate when they dont budge for more than 8 seconds on the test bench. Four seconds should see the gauge move off empty after all the service work you can do.

VP Zachary

new vp owner
Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 vp commadore executive
i have this problem with my vp i have a level 1 cluster and commodore bits (a shop) near me have level 1 and 2 for $100 so im going to fix it and upgrade it to a level 2

sent from the fish bowl using bubbles

Endz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive
When i got the curcuit out and looked at the little solder joints i thought no way that would fix the problem.. They look fine! So i went ahead and did it anyway thinking its worth a shot while im this far, well i thought wrong, & i am now amazed by it, my fuel guage works fine again ! Yaay, thanks for all the help!

Nzguzzi

Reaction score
Members Ride
1989 VN Executive Wagon
For me it turned out to be the plug on the fuel sender/fuel pump unit.
It had worked itself loose.( plug on back of fuel tank visible when you look under right rear wheel )
Quick spray clean, some CRC, plugged it back in and boom... Fuel gauge, odometer and trip meter working again.... Go figure. :)

Always the most obvious thing, checked last.... 2 dash cluster rebuilds later..doh!!!

Mckenzie

Reaction score
Members Ride
92 executive Vp
Hi I'm just about to pull my dash out and follow these instructions... my temp guage works fine along with me speedometer but my odometer and trip meter arn't working at all i was just wondering if they could be fixed the same way as the fuel guage?

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Hi I'm just about to pull my dash out and follow these instructions... my temp guage works fine along with me speedometer but my odometer and trip meter arn't working at all i was just wondering if they could be fixed the same way as the fuel guage?

It will be the cog in the speedo head missing a tooth. $5 part off ebay. Thread on here somewhere on how to.

Mckenzie

Reaction score
Members Ride
92 executive Vp
Fix my fuel gauge and Odometer $0

So I fixed my fuel gauge and odometer by removing the circuit board within the dash, but in instead of re-soldering the three pins on the Voltage Regulator I found there was corrosion in-between two if the pins. with a small screw driver and a can of Inox mx3 formula, I use this instead of WD40 on my electronics, gave it a good clean (dry excess inox/wd40 to prevent any chances of shorting). Then I put all back together and tested it out and it all works like new for $0 and only an 1hr of my time haha.
Also before I even touched the dash I first checked my fuel gauge connector under the car next to the fuel pump and gave it a good clean its a good idea to start with the simple simple things first.

Thanks for all the advice all,

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Just bought cheap shitboxen vp ute....seems to have all common faults including fuel/temp gauge issue.

Resoldered pins on back of regulator tonight...lasted less than a week tapping dash yet still got wrong fuel level/temperature readings

Are the gauges meant to be notchy?

As in fuel gauge goes to 1/2 then jumps to 3/4 takes a breather to get to full then as driving it's either last notch or full....turn car off both temp/fuel needles drop in 3 steps.

Curious if just a weird vn/p trait as doubt anything been fixed on this thing in years.