Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SOLVED - 2005 VZ Commodore Error code "P161 - configuration mismatch (to instruments)"

Sando06

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VZ Executive
My SRS light is on in my 2005 VZ, ive bought a Vident iLink400au scanner and the error code it has given me is "P161 - configuration mismatch (to instruments)" does anyone know a fix?

Sando06

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VZ Executive
Not too sure what has happened to the car before me, as i bought it from a used car yard, i dont think its been in any crashes as there is no damage to the car

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Refer to the item below from the Holden VT/VZ Workshop Manual. There is a discrepancy between the instrument cluster and the the SDM (airbag Sensing and Diagnostic Module). For example, the SDM may have six loops (2 x pre-tensioners, 1 x driver's airbag, 1 x passenger airbag, 2 x side airbags) and the cluster may have been configured for only four loops.

1718793005492.png

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Sounds pretty suss. That would happen if another cluster has been installed (maybe to hide kms) and it doesn’t match the car. It probably had 400,000kms and they put a cluster in with 220,000 on it.

It might be a cluster from a V8 or it might be from a Berlina or Calais. It could be looking for airbags that don’t exist. There is some configuration data that isn’t right.

You can send the cluster off to be set up to the VINs configuration. Exec will be V6, sedan, drivers airbag. Passenger airbag. ABS. Auto.

I would also do some detective work on the VIN in vehicle registration records and previous sales info. See if it has been smashed, or you might find a historical record of the kms it has.

Make sure the VIN on the radiator support matches the VIN on the firewall and the VIN in the corner of the windscreen. The rivets should be stainless on the VIN plates and be like slight little flower shapes. Not round rivets. I can’t recall if there is also a VIN stamped just in front of the drivers seat on the floor under a flap of carpet. (Might be VE)

They should not have been able to sell the car with SRS faults.

IMG_6951.jpeg

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I posted this in the other link

It’s by @OldSkoolGP.

Reactions: Lex

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Sounds pretty suss. That would happen if another cluster has been installed (maybe to hide kms) and it doesn’t match the car. It probably had 400,000kms and they put a cluster in with 220,000 on it.

It might be a cluster from a V8 or it might be from a Berlina or Calais. It could be looking for airbags that don’t exist. There is some configuration data that isn’t right.

You can send the cluster off to be set up to the VINs configuration. Exec will be V6, sedan, drivers airbag. Passenger airbag. ABS. Auto.

I would also do some detective work on the VIN in vehicle registration records and previous sales info. See if it has been smashed, or you might find a historical record of the kms it has.

Make sure the VIN on the radiator support matches the VIN on the firewall and the VIN in the corner of the windscreen. The rivets should be stainless on the VIN plates and be like slight little flower shapes. Not round rivets. I can’t recall if there is also a VIN stamped just in front of the drivers seat on the floor under a flap of carpet. (Might be VE)

They should not have been able to sell the car with SRS faults.

View attachment 269390
That was the exactly first thing I thought of,
"Giving it a Hair Cut"

Replace the cluster to a reduced k's !

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Where was the Car Purchased ?

krusing