Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[SOLVED] Blue 202 won't warm/hot start/idle

sundaydriver

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH 202 Blue 3.3 Vactioner
UPDATE (22/01/17 12:30PM) - skip to here to see what's been eliminated so far.-

UPDATE (23/01/17 19:10) - Solved.

Got a stock 83 VH blue 202 (Varajet II carb.)

Have done a full carby clean (but not rebuild) and replaced mount gaskets recently (to fix a vacuum leak), had a run through of fuel-additive cleaner, and replaced the spark plug and fuel filter. All lines are back where they should be (used factory diagrams) and there's no leaks/cracks etc.

Problem is, the engine won't start when warm (choke flap fully open.) Starts and idles fine when cold though.
I can get it going when warm by pumping the accelerator and keeping revs up, but stalls as soon as I take my foot off.

I can get it to start and run VERY rough when I set the "Idle Bypass Screw" (which i'm told adjusts the idle speed) practically all the way out (first image on this post), but it doesn't feel right to have it out that far to run... plus it runs bad.

The stop screw hasn't been touched (to my knowledge) in the car's 50,000Kms.
I think the auto-choke is OK i.e. Closed (almost closed - it's set lean as it's 30+ most days where I am) when cold and fully open when warm.

Doesn't stall when I pump the accelerator.

Can't think of anything else - feel to ask any questions that's help diagnose it. I am guess it's related to the choke or the mix... can probide photos if any will help.

I am not looking to do a EFI conversion or carb swap with a webber/holly - want to keep it stock.

Last edited:

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Hows your ignition system? Heat can cause things to play silly buggers.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Sounds like you need to replace your ignition module. Happened to mine too - just started to get hard to start then eventually would stall around corners and then wouldn't start at all. Replaced the module and it was perfect again.

sundaydriver

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH 202 Blue 3.3 Vactioner
Sounds like you need to replace your ignition module. Happened to mine too - just started to get hard to start then eventually would stall around corners and then wouldn't start at all. Replaced the module and it was perfect again.
When I say warm/hot start, i mean running for less that a few minutes - only enough time for the choke coil to warm up and open the flap. Still likely?
Seems to coincidental that it happens as soon as the choke's open.

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
If you've cleaned it with just carby cleaner and haven't stripped it right down perhaps a bit of grit is blocking something important somewhere?

whats up

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
Got a stock 83 VH blue 202 (Varajet II carb.)

Have done a full carby clean (but not rebuild) and replaced mount gaskets recently (to fix a vacuum leak), had a run through of fuel-additive cleaner, and replaced the spark plug and fuel filter. All lines are back where they should be (used factory diagrams) and there's no leaks/cracks etc.

Problem is, the engine won't start when warm (choke flap fully open.) Starts and idles fine when cold though.
I can get it going when warm by pumping the accelerator and keeping revs up, but stalls as soon as I take my foot off.

I can get it to start and run VERY rough when I set the "Idle Bypass Screw" (which i'm told adjusts the idle speed) practically all the way out (first image on this post), but it doesn't feel right to have it out that far to run... plus it runs bad.

The stop screw hasn't been touched (to my knowledge) in the car's 50,000Kms.
I think the auto-choke is OK i.e. Closed (almost closed - it's set lean as it's 30+ most days where I am) when cold and fully open when warm.

Doesn't stall when I pump the accelerator.

Can't think of anything else - feel to ask any questions that's help diagnose it. I am guess it's related to the choke or the mix... can probide photos if any will help.

I am not looking to do a EFI conversion or carb swap with a webber/holly - want to keep it stock.

whats up

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
The elimination process might be the way to go here,I'd probably start with the fuel side of things.
Maybe get another carb that's off a goer and go from there.