Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[SOLVED] Blue 202 won't warm/hot start/idle

sundaydriver

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH 202 Blue 3.3 Vactioner
The elimination process might be the way to go here,I'd probably start with the fuel side of things.
Maybe get another carb that's off a goer and go from there.
It's looking like I will have to do that - but I am really keen on keeping it original. From what I read, the 32/36 webber of an old falcon is the way to go.

Just did some more testing.

set the choke a little leaner/tighter.
Started OK. Idled OK.
Went for a easy drive.
Got 500 metres down the road and it stalled when I took the foot of to brake for a corner.
Could start it again and keep it going if I kept the revs up, but as soon as I took foot off the gas, it stalls.
Managed to get it home.
Closed the choke manually, and the started it - started fine without revs. Idled OK. Then give it some gas and revs - which fully opens the choke flap - and it stalls again.

It can't be a coincidence that it stalls when the chokes open, can it?

If it's running too lean at this point (warm)? would closing tightening (or loosening - I can't remember which way leans it out based on where it is) to make it a bit richer be useful? I've read messing with the mixture too much on these varajets can throw everything out (not that it could get much worse...)

I've taken a couple short vids that might help. Just trying to upload somewhere, then will link.

hiker

Reaction score
Members Ride
statesman vs series 3
Got a stock 83 VH blue 202 (Varajet II carb.)

Have done a full carby clean (but not rebuild) and replaced mount gaskets recently (to fix a vacuum leak), had a run through of fuel-additive cleaner, and replaced the spark plug and fuel filter. All lines are back where they should be (used factory diagrams) and there's no leaks/cracks etc.

Problem is, the engine won't start when warm (choke flap fully open.) Starts and idles fine when cold though.
I can get it going when warm by pumping the accelerator and keeping revs up, but stalls as soon as I take my foot off.

I can get it to start and run VERY rough when I set the "Idle Bypass Screw" (which i'm told adjusts the idle speed) practically all the way out (first image on this post), but it doesn't feel right to have it out that far to run... plus it runs bad.

The stop screw hasn't been touched (to my knowledge) in the car's 50,000Kms.
I think the auto-choke is OK i.e. Closed (almost closed - it's set lean as it's 30+ most days where I am) when cold and fully open when warm.

Doesn't stall when I pump the accelerator.

Can't think of anything else - feel to ask any questions that's help diagnose it. I am guess it's related to the choke or the mix... can probide photos if any will help.

I am not looking to do a EFI conversion or carb swap with a webber/holly - want to keep it stock.
Hi sundaydriver, I once owned a VH with a similar problem, to cut along story short after many head aches it was found that the float (made from synthetic resin compound ) had over the years become "heavy" with absorbed petrol.Once the float was replaced this problem never re-occured ,hope this may help. regards hiker.

sundaydriver

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi sundaydriver, I once owned a VH with a similar problem, to cut along story short after many head aches it was found that the float (made from synthetic resin compound ) had over the years become "heavy" with absorbed petrol.Once the float was replaced this problem never re-occurred ,hope this may help. regards hiker.
Thanks for the tip! I do have a carby kit, from ebay, that I was hoping not to have to use - didn't want to do a tear-down as I never have. It didn;t come with a new float though. Might have to see if I can source one and do a rebuild :(, if it doesn't turn out to be something else.

DerekP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 5.0
+1 sounds to me like float issue.

sundaydriver

Reaction score
Members Ride
+1 sounds to me like float issue.

...found that the float (made from synthetic resin compound ) had over the years become "heavy" with absorbed petrol...

OK - so I've dismantled the carb and got the float out. Problem is, I don't know what I am look for. It doesn't leak, so I assume its not cracked. It doesn't feel heavy like it's absorbed fuel. And it doesn't feel like it's disintegrating. Does feel a bit rough/chalky - not sure if that's normal? I assumed it's be smooth plastic.

Thoughts?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
You need to check if it floats properly so it opens and closes the needle and seat valve controlling the fuel level in the float bowl properly.
The easy way to check is to swap it with your new one and see what happens.
I wouldn't bother rebuilding every little ball bearing in the carby at this stage though. You could end up creating more issues.

sundaydriver

Reaction score
Members Ride
You need to check if it floats properly so it opens and closes the needle and seat valve controlling the fuel level in the float bowl properly.
The easy way to check is to swap it with your new one and see what happens.
I wouldn't bother rebuilding every little ball bearing in the carby at this stage though. You could end up creating more issues.
Just finished doing a clean. replaced the gaskets. And replaced the needle. See how we go tomorrow.

sundaydriver

Reaction score
Members Ride
More NOPE!

Starts fine cold and take revs fine when cold.

When it gets up to temp. (5-10 mins running - choke full open) it will either:
  1. gargle and conk out while giving it continuous revs
  2. stall when taking foot off accelerator
Float seems OK, BTW. Took the top plate off and seemed to bob fine.

There might be a small vacuum leak, but not significant. Just enough to spin the fan a bit quicker intermittently to get the pressure back up. I can't see this being the cause though...

Also replaced the spring and plunger skirt (?) when cleaning the carb, so probably not the accelerator pump.

What are we thinking? Fuel pump?
Any way to a bush test without a second/new pump?

Last edited:

hiker

Reaction score
Members Ride
statesman vs series 3
hi sundaydriver I should have been a little more specific about the "heavy" float, if memory serves me correctly the float only weighs a few grams so couple of extra grams is quite a lot in the scheme of things I believe that the float weight would be available somewhere and the float itself can be weighed successfully on a digital kitchen scale. Regards hiker

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Sounds like it's running lean when hot to me if it was fuel pump or float issues it would run bad hot or cold ?