Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Solved] Coolant leak from weird spot (Pics included)

Leo94

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Hey,

So a little back story first, purchased a 04 vz executive v6 second hand with 165ks unregistered. Before I registered it I decided to give to change the engine oil/filter and flush out the coolant and replace with that red nulon coolant that conforms to gm specs and mixed at a 50/50 ratio. Bled the air out as per fsm excerpt posted on here for changing coolant. Now after most drives you can smell the coolant burning, it leaks from the water inlet gasket which is common but also from this spot above the engine in the photos below and leaks onto the exhaust heat shields and also transmission.

Click on the photos for the larger version, for the rest of the photos you can see them here.

Last edited:

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
If I'm not mistaken, it looks like it's coming from the heater tap.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Concur, heater tap and being pushed around my air from outside and from the fan.

Philmecrackun

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V 6.2L 1972 Ford Galaxie Wagon 400ci
If you are doing the heater tap, check the 3 heater hoses and probably replace them as well, as there is an internal O ring on the 2 hoses that have the funny looking C clip that hold the hoses onto the metal pipe, mine were worn there and leaked slightly when wiggled.

Be prepared the hose connector at the back of the motor is very tricky and you learn some new swear words. :)

It also looks like the O rings might be leaking above the water pump and in a previous post I uploaded some pixs that make it look like the water pump is leaking. http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vz-holden-commodore-2004-2006/230134-vz-sv6-water-pump.html

Jaymz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec 1996, VS SS 1996
I like how the red coolant makes like look like the car is bleeding!

paddingtontv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ EXECUTIVE WAGON 06
Holden sell a bag of pills 3 in fact. I diluted 2 of them and put them in the radiator,. it fixed the little leaks like the casket on the water pump