Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Solving that annoying vibration or rattle at idle

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004

This is the type of exhaust joint we're talking about to look for that rattles or vibrates.
On the VY it has a donut shaped gasket between the pipes that is made of what looks like compressed thick stainless steel wire wool.
You can replace this if it looks worn, or try putting some hi-temp sensor safe silicon sealant in the joint to muffle the rattle a bit.

Attachments

• exhaust ball join coupler.jpg
    exhaust ball join coupler.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 592
Last edited:

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Checked over a VY the other day that had a rattle at idle you could hear inside the car that only started after the car warmed up.
Obvious place to look was the exhaust system, but no luck.
Turned out it was the lines for aircon rattling on the firewall. It was something cooling down and contracting causing the rattle.

Riz Vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Pack
My vy was a bit vibratey and rough on idle at times (nothing crazy) I installed 12mm plenum spacer and now my idle is much smoother and quieter.

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Someone elsewhere on the forum suggests to 'relax' the engine mounts if there's some vibration still being transmitted after you've fitted new ones. You do this by loosening the mount's bolts slightly (but don't take the nuts off); start the engine and with your foot on the brake (handbrake on) cycle between drive and reverse a couple of times, putting a little load on the engine. The motor gently rocking one side to the other in the engine bay causes the mounts to reposition slightly. Turn the engine off and do them up tight again.

Recommend doing this on a hoist or on the ground where the wheels are in contact with the ground , not while supported by jack stands as a chance of vehicle falling is high if not done correctly. Raise and lower the vehicle to loosen and tighten the mounts.

Last edited:

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
The bonnet is another suspect in the search for mystery rattles through the dash.
When closed, if it's not sitting tight in the rubber guides on the mudguards or something in the engine bay is making contact with it, a vibration sound can transmit through the hinges into the cabin.

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
And check the accelerator cable and cruise control cable where they swing around and pass by the strut tower on the passenger side.
They'll rattle on the tower on some cars. Check for witness marks on the paint in the engine bay.

Jake96

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 vz ute v6
Any ideas what could cause a rough idle on a 08 Holden ve v6? When sitting at a set of lights the steering wheel shudders and sends the vibration to the brake pedal and can feel constant shuddering when my foots on the brake pedal on idle. Took it to a mechanic he said my engine mounts were rooted, replaced them and did the spark plugs. Vibration went away for a week and is now back again and now when coming to a complete stop when I get to about 6kph the car starts shuddering then starts shuddering threw the steering wheel and brake pedal. Took it back to the mechanic and he said the mounts seem fine and can’t seem to figure out what could be causing it. Any ideas? I’ve cleaned the throttle body/maf sensor run fuel conditioner and injector cleaner threw and hasn’t helped.

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
Tried other spark plugs

Got a 2nd opinion on the mounts? If the problem was fixed and now is back

Maybe he used el-cheapo mounts. Mounts should always be genuine holden ones

I took my rear muffler off for a straight pipe and annoying vibration shudder when cold has vanished on my vy

Does the ve have exhaust shields that could be noisy