Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Solving that annoying vibration or rattle at idle

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
I’ve noticed a lot of posts by VY V6 owners (mostly series II) trying to solve without much success a vibration or rattle that haunts them while sitting at the lights in drive at idle, but goes away when they drive off or increase the RPM slightly.

Now the first most important thing to do is make sure that you give the car a full service. Fresh oils, plugs, leads and filters (air, oil and fuel). This might solve it straight up if you're lucky, but it's essential to start with.

Then you move on. There are a few obvious things that you can check and fix like:-
(1) Loose or bent heat shields (on exhaust pipes). The insulation material inside them breaks down or comes loose.
(2) Not enough clearance between the exhaust and chassis or busted rubber exhaust hangers. Loose pipe connections. Check and tighten the flange where pipes connect to exhaust manifold.
(3) Bits of loose material inside the system

But if you’ve done all these checks and it still rattles or vibrates then check the flexible exhaust joint with the two springs on it. Make sure it is aligned so the sides of the bolts don’t touch the flange they go through, or touch the coils of the springs. Make sure there’s plenty of clearance.
If it is misaligned even slightly you’ll get a vibration. It took me ages to track down this last remedy and it made the car a pleasure to drive again!

Another thing I've noticed is the series 2 VY exhaust is different to the series 1 (has two catalytic converters instead of a single one) and they seem to be more prone to causing vibrations through the car. I think it could also have something to do with the changes Holden made to the engine management system trying to make it more fuel efficient (at idle) but also causing harmonics that make the exhaust shake around like a frog in a sock.

I might be wrong but that's my theory.:idea3:

If you're feeling vibrations through your seat check the transmission mount. The exhaust hangs from the transmission at one point. I've seen the safety hook on the transmission mount too close and transmitting vibrations. You have to bend it back slightly for a bit more clearance.

An important thing to note is that the ecotec even from new was never a smooth idler. It's just the nature of the beast (these days you could almost call it agricultural) so don't get too hung up trying to get it absolutely smooth. You won't do it.
It's the buzzing and rattling that amplify the coarseness, so tracking that down and sorting it helps a lot.

Hopefully other members will add to this post with their solutions as they find them as well.

Last edited:

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
Wicked dude, ill have to check this out :D

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Ill hav to check this also, i got the same issue and its pissing me off lol

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
new engine mounts.

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes new engine mounts can make the VY a much smoother car. They seem to only last about five or six years before they sag a bit and you start to feel general harshness or vibrations through the steering wheel.
Don’t know why they give up the ghost so early in the piece…most other types of car’s engine mounts seem to last the life of the vehicle.
A mate recently fitted new mounts to his and when he asked the guy at Repco if they had any in stock he said “75 out the back…plenty mate”

What’s that tell you?

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Hey Guys im just tossing this in here with my VY Rattle.
Only does it at idle and seems worse in reverse.
I found if i push the gear selector to the drivers side, the rattle goes away, if i push it to the left it seems likes its rattling against bare steel. Im still yet to look and find out what exactly it is. see if any of yours are the same at all.

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
You got a manual or auto transmission?
If you’ve got an auto the shift shouldn’t move from side to side at all.

Either type of transmission it sounds like the problem could be worn bushes on the linkages letting them rattle around.
Or the floor console might not be clearing the shifter enough and needs adjustment.

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
have to apply quite alot of pressure to it, Feels like the shift stick is touching some metal and then vibrating through the car, As said might be the floor console or something else, i need to remove the console and have a look down it. the transmission is so so smooth :) Never had one this smooth so i know its fine.

VYute04

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 3.8ltr ute
any pics of where to look for the vibration causes would be great help