Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Some annoying noise(s)

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, BMW M4 Coupe, Harley V-Rod
Hello people!

A VF Redline I know has this really fuc*ing annoying noise that it makes under light acceleration. It sounds like aluminium being scrunched up (kind of hard to describe) you can hear it from outside the car quite clearly, and also if driving next to another car/wall/freeway barrier etc with the window down.

The car is stock as a rock, it did have a crap CAI from FleaBay but have taken it off.

Oh and I think the MAF is damaged - the honey comb is not congruent and uniform anymore (checked pictures of some), definately damaged, must have been done by overtensioning the clamp around it. Also the harmonic balancer does not spin smoothly and the car idles rough. Also when driving up a smooth gutter slowly on an angle (those rounded lip ones) into its driveway, from outside the car you can literally hear it creak....

Aside from all this fun stuff - the car is perfect, it really is fantastic.

But aside from the fantasticness, have I bought a lemon?

On a serious note, any tips on what I should ask Holden would be appreciated, as I have my 3000k inspection tomorrow.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Annoying noise under light acceleration - No idea - possibly heat loose shield on exhaust, or AFM noise?
Damaged MAF - During fitment or removal of crap CAI?
Creak - Where is it coming from?
Harmonic Balancer - If out of alignment then ask for it to be replaced.
Rough Idle - Diagnostic and remedial work during 3K service.

Lemon - Doesn't sound like it, a few minor issues that SHOULD be easily rectified during 3K service. You're the best judge though.

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
The MAF is a very sensitive piece of kit. If it's damaged then it really ought to be replaced before you can diagnose any further issues with the rough idle.

Creaking? That is a standard Holden feature.

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride
Annoying noise under light acceleration - No idea - possibly heat loose shield on exhaust, or AFM noise?
Damaged MAF - During fitment or removal of crap CAI?
Creak - Where is it coming from?
Harmonic Balancer - If out of alignment then ask for it to be replaced.
Rough Idle - Diagnostic and remedial work during 3K service.

Lemon - Doesn't sound like it, a few minor issues that SHOULD be easily rectified during 3K service. You're the best judge though.

The MAF is a very sensitive piece of kit. If it's damaged then it really ought to be replaced before you can diagnose any further issues with the rough idle.

Creaking? That is a standard Holden feature.

Thanks for the responses guys - I appreciate it!

So far as the MAF goes, the actual 'sensor' part is undamaged, it is just the honey comb - I have ordered a replacement.

Harmonic balancer is getting looked into tomorrow morning by Holden as is the creak (not sure where it's coming from cuda), and what I call pinging.

Will let you know what the outcome is!

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride
So, got the car back today.

The annoying noise is normal (listened to two other SS' accelerating), the rough idle has stopped with my replaced MAF, and my harmonic balancer is 'within spec' - not so confident on that one, am getting a second opinion.

Other than that, all systems running well.

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
My SS Wagon makes the sound that I think you may be describing. I questioned it with the salesman and took him for a drive before I bought it and he said they all make that sound and is exhaust related. I didn't 100% believe him probably not even 50% but I needed the car so I bought it regardless. To me its like a very minor fast rattle under light to medium acceleration. I have since taken it to a non Holden mechanic that doesn't think there's any issue and put it down to everything being so quiet that something that does make noise stands out. He did tell me he has an employee on holidays well versed in LS engines and to bring it back but I never did, I think I just got used to it. Still if you find it is an issue please post your findings.

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride
My SS Wagon makes the sound that I think you may be describing. I questioned it with the salesman and took him for a drive before I bought it and he said they all make that sound and is exhaust related. I didn't 100% believe him probably not even 50% but I needed the car so I bought it regardless. To me its like a very minor fast rattle under light to medium acceleration. I have since taken it to a non Holden mechanic that doesn't think there's any issue and put it down to everything being so quiet that something that does make noise stands out. He did tell me he has an employee on holidays well versed in LS engines and to bring it back but I never did, I think I just got used to it. Still if you find it is an issue please post your findings.

I think it's the way they are mate. I had my exhaust made and fitted today and I can still hear that noise over the pipes!